The Big Ten Conference recognized Ohio State’s men’s soccer midfielder Austin McAnena for the second time since October 2010 as the Offensive Player of the Week coming off a double-overtime, 3-2, loss to Michigan last Sunday. 

“It was a little bittersweet,” McAnena said. “Mainly because I was more focused on the result against Michigan when I found out.”

The senior said that while thankful for the recognition, he is focusing on the Buckeyes’ next game.   

OSU sophomore forward Kenny Cunningham said he is glad McAnena is being recognized after the team’s loss. 

“We’re really focused on the wins, but when you see that there are players on our team getting recognized, it’s always a plus,” Cunningham said. “It (instills) that little bit of confidence in your team because you know that you got good players.”

McAnena, a Laguna Niguel, Calif., native, is the leading scorer for the Buckeyes, netting seven points from the last two games against Butler and Michigan.

McAnena attributed his standing as the Buckeyes’ leading scorer to his work ethic.  

“I think it’s possibly the work rate and getting in the right spots,” McAnena said. “Sometimes just things go your way.”

Yet McAnena said that even he has to keep working hard to help the team win games. 

“Keep working hard and keep possession which is really important,” McAnena said. “Also getting the ball up and producing more goals.”

Coach John Bluem said McAnena’s success on the field stems from his determination to succeed. 

“He has an incredible determination to be successful,” Bluem said. “He’s a smaller guy and he’s really got to have that kind of attitude to be successful and he does.”  

McAnena’s recent goals bring his career tally with the Scarlet and Gray to 15. McAnena also has 11 assists to his name and accumulated 43 career points after firing 105 shots with the Buckeyes. 

The three goals McAnena has scored in 11 games on OSU’s current campaign matches the three he scored during 19 games in 2011.

McAnena and the Buckeyes are scheduled to take on Michigan State on Sunday at noon at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.