Maybe the famous Chicago wind got the better of the Ohio State women’s golf team.
OSU left the Glen View Golf Course in Chicago on Tuesday placing 10th out of 15 teams in the Windy City Collegiate Classic.
The Buckeyes scored 43-over 907 on the 6,333-yard course, and senior Rachel Rohanna led the team tied for 20th place with a total score of 223 strokes.
Rohanna had scores of 74 for the first round, 73 for the second and 76 for the final round. The senior came off the Buckeyes’ last tournament with second place, but was satisfied with her score in the Windy City.
“Individually I thought I played well,” Rohanna said. “The course was pretty tough, but I feel like I grinded the whole time.”
Four strokes behind Rohanna was fellow senior Susana Benavides, who tied for 34th place with scores of 73 for the first round, 76 for the second round and 78 for the final round.
The Cochabamba, Bolivia, product said she was happy with her first round but felt her game declined after.
“I did well yesterday (Monday), but today I was missing course management and I made bad decisions,” Benavides said on Tuesday. “I was not very happy with the results.”
Senior Amy Meier tied for 40th place, sophomore Claudia Lim tied for 52nd place, junior Allison Harper placed 55th and sophomore Jan Chanpalangsri rounded out the team in 69th place.
Coach Therese Hession was not satisfied with the team’s results but attributed the Buckeyes’ low placement to the competition and course difficulty.
“We didn’t play very (well) and I think that overall our short games weren’t very good,” Hession said. “Not enough birdie chances, the teams were competitive and the course was difficult.”
Hession said the team has some improvements to make at practice before the next tournament.
“We need to work on shots inside 100 yards, wedge plays, chip shots, our short game and leaving the ball too far from the hole,” Hession said.
The Buckeyes will travel to Norman Okla., Oct. 15-17, for the Susie Maxwell Berning Classic.