Add another award to Braxton Miller’s growing list of accolades.
The Ohio State sophomore was recognized as the Big Ten’s offensive player of the year Tuesday.
Miller was named the conference’s Griese-Brees quarterback of the year Monday, along with being honored as a first-team All-Big Ten performer by the media and a second-team selection by the coaches.
“I’m appreciative of everything that went down this year,” Miller said. “The work we put in the offseason with (assistant athletic director of football sports performance Mickey Marotti), it paid off at the end. So I’m pretty appreciative of that.”
Miller thrived in his first season at the helm of first-year coach Urban Meyer’s offense, leading the Buckeyes to a 12-0 record while putting up one of the most impressive statistical years an OSU quarterback has had in recent memory.
The sophomore quarterback set a Buckeyes’ record for total offense, throwing for 2,039 yards and running for 1,271, surpassing the former mark of 3,290 total yards that was set by former OSU quarterback Bobby Hoying in 1995.
Miller had 28 touchdowns on the season, the most by an OSU quarterback since 2006 when Heisman winner Troy Smith – the last Buckeye to receive Big Ten offensive player of the year honors – had 31.
Miller was not the only Buckeye to receive recognition by the Big Ten.
OSU senior John Simon was named the conference’s Smith-Brown defensive lineman of the year Monday. Junior offensive lineman Andrew Norwell, sophomore linebacker Ryan Shazier, redshirt senior cornerback Travis Howard and redshirt sophomore cornerback Bradley Roby received first-team All-Big Ten honors by the media as well. Junior defensive tackle Jonathan Hankins, along with Simon and Roby, were named first-team performers by the coaches, too.