A double homicide, the largest security breach in higher education history and the “Tattoo-Gate” scandal that rocked Ohio State football – in his seven years as university spokesman, Jim Lynch has seemingly seen it all. But next week, he’ll leave the OSU office that receives about 35,000 media calls a year and head downtown. “I have been asked by the (Gov. John) Kasich Administration to help lead communications on the upcoming state budget, which includes reforms to higher education,” Lynch said. Monday, Lynch will assume the role of special assistant to the director for budget communications at the Ohio Office of Budget and Management. Deputy director for OBM communication Dave Pagnard said Lynch will play a role in disseminating information about the two-year Ohio budget, scheduled to be released by Kasich Feb. 4. Pagnard said Lynch’s experience working with several departments at OSU made him “uniquely qualified” for the position. Pagnard would know better than many – he worked with Lynch for 13 years at the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, and called himself a “big fan” of Lynch. “He’s a people person. He can talk to anybody about anything in a way that is relatable,” he said. Assistant vice president of University Communications Gayle Saunders has worked with Lynch since she came to OSU two-and-a-half months ago, and said his can-do attitude will be missed. Lynch’s last official day with the university is Sunday, and Saunders said “Jim’s departure will certainly be felt.” University Communications will be posting to fill the vacant position. While Lynch has handled several university mishaps, Lynch said his time at OSU has been gratifying. Being on a college campus is, he said, in a word, “magical.” “It’s very rewarding to work with students and help them plan their careers … and leave this campus a better place than they left it,” Lynch said. He has served as an adviser for the student group Ohio Staters and on the Board of Control for the Faculty Club. He said working with faculty “who are helping tackle the greatest challenges facing our world” has helped make his time at OSU worthwhile as well. “I hope to return to higher education in the years ahead,” Lynch said, “but at this moment, I’m excited to take on a new challenge to help the state of Ohio.”