The orange fences on the Oval might be around for a while longer.
There to support recently planted grass, the fencing allows the new grass seedlings to become mature enough to stand up to “normal use,” stated Lindsay Komlanc, Ohio State spokeswoman for Administration and Planning, in an email. This might mean the fenced-off areas will remain fenced off until spring, Komlanc said.
The grass was planted by the OSU Facilities Operations and Development Landscape Services team.
“FOD’s Landscape Services will evaluate each area (in the spring) to determine when we will be able to re-open them for use,” Komlanc said.
There have been several big events held on the Oval so far this school year that have contributed to grass damage: Rock the Oval, a  free concert for students, was held on the Oval Oct. 4. Five days later, President Barack Obama gave a speech on the Oval to a crowd of about 15,000.
“The areas currently under repair do overlap with some of the areas used for events held on the Oval this fall. The lawns on the Oval are used frequently by many people,” Komlanc said. “We regularly re-seed and repair grass in areas that receive high usage around the university.”
There was also temporary fencing in place along Woody Hayes Drive while the university was “establishing grass after the construction along that route,” Komlanc said. She added that there is currently fencing around the RPAC square while grass grows as well.
Some students said they don’t like the fences because of their neon orange color.
“Normally we all just like sit in the grass (on the Oval) and stuff, and it’s like normally really pretty and open, but now it’s just like in the way of everything and it kind of doesn’t look good,” said Brittany Clemmons, a second-year in human development and family science.
Many said they didn’t know why the fences are on the Oval.
“I don’t really know what they’re for, so I guess I’m just kind of wondering what they’re about,” said Alexa Pohle, a first-year in exploration.
Others said they’re not bothered by the fences because of the construction all over campus.
“It doesn’t bother me that much. The whole campus is under construction so I’m kind of used to it by now. I’m not sure why they’re there, I don’t know if I’ve ever like been told why they’re there,” said Marcus Stierwalt, a second-year in accounting. “I assume they’re just to preserve the grass from the concert and when the president came, so I’m fine with that.”
Some students added that the university should tell students why the fences are there to avoid further damage.
“(They should tell us) to make sure that people don’t try to destroy it and stuff. I mean, I wouldn’t personally, but you know, some people just (do) that,” Pohle said.
Others said they weren’t fans of the fences, but they didn’t know what would be a better alternative.
“(They) could’ve had fences that aren’t so ugly, but other than that, I don’t know what they could do,” said Seth Baldosser, a fourth-year in English.