Home » Uncategorized » 3 Ohio State football players named All-Americans

3 Ohio State football players named All-Americans

Andrew Holleran / Photo editor

Ohio State football players are still racking up awards following their undefeated season, as three Buckeyes were named All-Americans by the Associated Press Tuesday and one announced he will not be returning for his senior season.

Junior defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins, redshirt sophomore cornerback Bradley Roby and senior defensive end John Simon were all honored by the AP as being among the best college athletes in the country.

Hankins and Roby were awarded second-team All-American honors while Simon was named a third-team All-American for the second straight year.

Hankins finished the season with 55 tackles, a figure that ranked him fifth on the team in stops, and Roby was second in the nation in passes defended with 19 on the season, a total that averaged 1.73 per game.

The trio’s accolades don’t end with All-American honors, though.

Roby and Simon were named consensus first-team All-Big Ten selections while Hankins earned a first-team honor from the coaches and a second-team nod from the media.

Simon, one of five OSU captains in 2012, was also named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and Defensive Lineman of the Year.

Simon led the Big Ten in sacks and was second in tackles for loss.

He attributed his success, and his honor of Defensive Player of the year, to the play of his teammates.

“It is truly a great honor, but first and foremost it is a team award,” Simon, who missed the Buckeyes’ finale against Michigan on Nov. 24, said. “I wouldn’t be given this award if it weren’t for the great play of my teammates.”

Not to be left out, sophomore quarterback Braxton Miller was named the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year and Quarterback of the Year after posting a school-record 3,310 yards of total offense. He also set a record for Buckeye quarterbacks with 1,271 rushing yards.

“I’m grateful for this moment and this honor,” Miller said of his Offensive Player of the year award. “And I am very thankful for the coaches we have, and for their working so hard with us.”

In addition the honors he has already received, Miller is also one of three finalists for the Davey O’Brien Award, an honor given to the nation’s top quarterback.

OSU coach Urban Meyer is also up for several awards. He is a finalist for the Football Writers Association of America Coach of the Year honors for the third time in his career, and is also up for the Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year award.

Awards are nothing new to Meyer as he was named the Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year in 2001, the Mountain West Conference Coach of the Year in 2003 and 2004, and the National Coach of the year in 2003, 2004, and 2006.

Meyer was also named Coach of the Decade for 2000-2009 by both the Sporting News and Sports Illustrated.

The news isn’t all good for the Buckeyes, however. 

Hankins announced on Monday that he would forgo his senior season and plan to enter the 2013 NFL Draft.

“I will always be grateful for the family I have gained here at Ohio State,” Hankins said.

Meyer wished him well at the next level.

“His hard work on and off the field has given him an opportunity to move on to the next level,” he said. “The coaching staff and I wish him all the best.”

The 12-0 Buckeyes finished the regular season ranked No. 3 in the nation by the AP.