Home » Sports » Former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor to make first NFL start

Former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor to make first NFL start

Cody Cousino / Multimedia editor

Former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor is scheduled to make his first NFL start.

Pryor, who’s seen little action for the Oakland Raiders, is slated to start at quarterback in Sunday’s season-finale against the San Diego Chargers.

The team announced the development through the Raiders’ official Twitter account, @OAKLAND.

“Head Coach Dennis Allen names @TerrellePryor staring QB for Sunday,” the tweet read.

Pryor was given the nod over former USC quarterback and 2004 Heisman Trophy winner Matt Leinart after Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer suffered a bruised lung and broken ribs in a 17-6 loss against the Carolina Panthers last Sunday. 

In his NFL career, the 6-foot-6, 230-pound signal-caller has completed 1-of-2 passes for five yards and rushed once for two yards.

It’s Pryor’s first start since the 2011 Allstate Sugar Bowl, which OSU defeated the Arkansas Razorbacks, 31-26.

In what would be his last outing as a Buckeye, the Jeannette, Pa., native amassed 336 yards of total offense and was named the game’s MVP.

Under the direction of former OSU coach Jim Tressel, Pryor and the Buckeyes finished the year 12-1 with a Big Ten Championship.

The season, though, has since been vacated because of NCAA violations stemming from the program’s “Tattoo-Gate” scandal.

Pryor, who was one of five players suspended for the first five games of 2011 because of his involvement in trading tattoos for Buckeye memorabilia, opted to forgo his senior season in response to mounting allegations and a separate investigation regarding his use of multiple automobiles while in Columbus.

Pryor, who arrived on campus in 2008 as arguably the nation’s most heralded recruit in recent memory, helped guide the Buckeyes to a 31-4 record as the team’s starting quarterback, a role he assumed against Troy on Sept. 20, 2008.

In addition to the his Sugar Bowl performance, Pryor earned MVP honors en route to a 26-17 win against Oregon in the 2010 Rose Bowl. The game, which was dubbed by some as Pryor’s coming-of-age party, saw Pryor throw for 266 yards and two touchdowns on 23-of-37 attempts. He also ran for 72 yards on 20 touches.

Pryor amassed 8,341 yards of total offense and 76 touchdowns as a Buckeye.

Oakland (4-11) is set to face the Chargers Sunday at 4:25 p.m. at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego.