Recognition from academies and authoritative organizations brings shiny trophies and long thank-you speeches, but when the recognition comes from peers, it can be an even higher honor.

The 19th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards took place Sunday night. These awards are distinct in that members of two entertainment industry labor unions, the Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, select them.

Basically that means that committees of media professionals, including actors, journalists, dancers, recording artists and program hosts, are behind the selection process for winners.

The SAG Awards are certainly not as popular as the Academy Awards (Oscars) or the Emmys, but there’s just something endearing about receiving an award from a group of your peers who notice when you excel in your field.

Another thing the SAG Awards do is throw out more ideas in speculation of who will win big at the Oscars in a few weeks.

Both the SAG Awards and the Golden Globe Awards, which aired Jan. 13, agreed on a few Oscar contenders, including the awards for lead actor and actress, supporting actress and best picture. Each winner is also up for an Oscar in the comparable category.

Having already won awards at each of these ceremonies, a Best Picture Oscar for “Argo,” Best Actor Oscar for Daniel Day-Lewis in “Lincoln,” Best Actress Oscar for Jennifer Lawrence in “Silver Linings Playbook” and Best Supporting Actress Oscar for Anne Hathaway in “Les Misérables” would each be icing on the cake of a great awards season for these stars.

Personally I wouldn’t be surprised to see any of these actors or actresses onstage accepting Oscars, nor would I be surprised if “Argo” takes the top prize on Feb. 24.

If we look at specific numbers, in 2012 the Golden Globes predicted the 2012 Oscar winners 100 percent of the time in these four categories, and the 2012 SAG Awards predicted Oscar winners 50 percent of the time in these four categories.

This year, I’m hoping both awards shows reach 100 percent accuracy in predicting at least these Oscar winners. And in the case of Best Supporting Actor, I’m siding with the Golden Globes’ choice of Christoph Waltz for his performance in “Django Unchained” over Tommy Lee Jones in “Lincoln.”

Waltz’s fame skyrocketed following his breakout role in “Inglourious Basterds,” for which he also won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, and I’m hard-pressed to think of someone more deserving of another golden statue to add to his collection.