Thomas-Keith Joseph has a story to tell. But his form of storytelling is a little unconventional.
Joseph, a second-year in exploration, is a rapper.
“I want to share my story and my song with other people,” Joseph said. “It’s a way to express how I feel.”
Joseph plans to use this year’s Buckeye Showcase, Ohio State’s student talent competition, to share his music.
Buckeye Showcase is organized by Ohio Union’s Major Campus Events Committee, the same committee that plans events such as Welcome Week, the Student Involvement fairs and Beat Michigan Week.
“It’s a chance for students to showcase their talents to an audience of their peers,” said Kristen King, the chairwoman of the event.
In past years, Buckeye Showcase acts have included taekwondo, improvisation, belly dancing and singing.
“We’ve had jugglers in the past, hip-hop dancing, step (dancing), ‘Key of Gee’ performed last year,” said King, a fourth-year in hospitality management. “It’s really a wide variety of talent.”
Tryouts for the fifth annual Buckeye Showcase will be held Jan. 22 from noon to 5 p.m. and Jan. 23 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., and are open to all OSU students.
Students will try out in front of a panel of students involved in the Major Campus Events Committee who act as judges.
“The tryouts will be videotaped and then the Major Campus Events Committee is going to sit down and evaluate them based on a couple different categories,” King said.
King said that as of Sunday, 12 acts had been confirmed to audition for the talent show, but she continues to receive new emails from people wanting to audition every day.
“I’m hoping to have 20 to 25 acts by the time auditions come,” King said.
At the actual competition, students in the showcase will perform to an audience and a panel of selected judges. King said the only confirmed judge is Javaune Adams-Gaston, vice president for Student Life.
Last year’s prizes included $500 and a trophy for first place, $250 for second place, $150 for third place and a trophy for the audience’s favorite. King said this year’s prizes are still under consideration, but she hopes to add a cash prize for the audience’s favorite this year.
Last year, OSU a cappella group Buck That! took home the first-place trophy and the cash prize of $500.
Collin Gossel, a second-year in music composition, plans to audition with his stand-up comedy act for Buckeye Showcase to gain exposure and practice performing in front of an audience.
“Like any skill, stand-up is something that you have to practice a lot, especially in front of an audience,” Gossel said. “Any chance that I can get to perform for a large group is something that I want to scoop up.”
The Buckeye Showcase is scheduled to take place on Feb. 26 at 7 p.m. in the Ohio Union Performance Hall. Tickets are free for all students.