Home » News » Ohio State’s Gee discusses higher ed’s future, underwear in Twitter chat

Ohio State’s Gee discusses higher ed’s future, underwear in Twitter chat

courtesy of OSU

“Boxers or briefs?” Jim Ellia, a third-year in communication, asked Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee.
“I wear both,” he responded.
That was one of the more than 20 questions Gee answered on Twitter Friday afternoon as he directed users to the hashtag #HigherEdFuture during the roughly half-hour conversation, covering topics from the importance of residential life, the future of campus diversity and the financial future of OSU.
OSU students, faculty and administration had questions answered, as well as local journalists and administrators from other universities.
University of Cincinnati President Santa Ono asked Gee “How might we in higher Ed align better with K-12 education and workforce development?”
“Become partners, rather than act like Red Cross units,” Gee said.
OSU Undergraduate Student Government President Taylor Stepp asked Gee where he thought public universities would get funding with declining support from the state.
“(We) Must rethink traditional way(s) we fund universities by using our resources, seeking less regulation from govt,” Gee said.
Gee also responded to concerns about whether the value of a college degree is changing.
“Labor economists predict earning power bet/ college degree & high school degree is economically substantial,” Gee said in response to a question from Columbus Dispatch reporter Encarnacion Pyle.
Gee also reiterated his commitment to increasing graduation rates for the purpose of lowering tuition costs.
“The concept of completion is also the concept of cost control and cost containment.”
Though most of the questions Gee answered focused on OSU, he also found time to respond diplomatically to the question “Will Michigan still suck in the future?” from Dustin Stinson, a fourth-year in sport and leisure studies.
“Michigan is a great Big 10 university. Next question…” Gee said.