Virginia-based acoustic guitarist Keller Williams is coming to Columbus to entertain the crowd with nothing but his guitar, his voice and a looping machine.
“Nothing is prerecorded,” said Williams, who uses the looping machine for continuous play and layering sounds. “I create all the samples on stage, live.”
Williams, who is also known by the stage name K-Dub, is scheduled to perform at Newport Music Hall Saturday. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
As both a solo artist and as part of several different bands, such as The Travelin’ McCourys, Kdubalicious, Keller and The Keels, Grunge Grass and Keller & the Transmitters, Williams’ music stems from a wide range of styles, drawing from bluegrass, folk, electronica, funk and other genres.
However, despite the numerous bands Williams has been a part of, he is currently touring America solo.
Saturday’s concert will feature Williams and the electronic jam band Lotus as co-headliners.
“It’s going to be a different kind of show,” Williams said. “I’m really excited to do a show with Lotus. I’m really grateful I get to check them out.”
This will be the first time the two have performed together, and Williams said he might adjust his performance for this show accordingly.
“I’ll be thinking about their crowd as well as mine and I’ll maybe lean a little more towards the dance vibe for this set,” Williams said.
Williams said he enjoys sharing the stage with other bands, such as Lotus, because his tour schedule does not allow him to watch many live shows.
“Sometimes it takes doing these co-bills with bands just to be able to see live music,” he said.
Marissa Luther, PromoWest Production’s marketing manager, said Williams puts on a great show.
“We’ve had him on numerous occasions,” she said. “He’s a great musician.”
Daniel Erb, the venue’s assistant manager, agreed and said Williams’ visits to Newport are known for their “feel-good vibe.”
“Keller has played here a few times. It’s basically a nice, more hippie-oriented crowd. Everyone’s nice,” Erb said.
Williams said he’s into the Newport crowds and remembers his first time playing at the venue.
“I walked in and the lights went down and there were all these neon signs. It seemed like a hockey arena. I remember the energy being super high and incredibly positive,” he said. “So I’ve always loved playing at the Newport, it has this certain kind of big, colosseum vibe to it.”
Williams mentioned what he thought Saturday’s audience should expect an unsual spin to past songs, along with music they can dance to.
“They can expect to hear songs that they’ve possibly heard before but done in a different way,” Williams said. “There’ll be acoustic music right alongside dance music, something I like to call ‘acoustic dance music.'”
Tickets are $18 in advance through Ticketmaster or $20 at the door at 1722 N High St.