This is part of a weekly series called “Pop Opinions” where The Lantern offers its take on the week’s pop culture news.

Jennifer Lawrence falls into America’s hearts

Lawrence generated some buzz at the 85th Annual Academy Awards Sunday ­- and not just because she won the Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role. When the “Silver Linings Playbook” star took to the stage to accept her golden statue, she tripped up the stairs. I’m sure other celebrities have taken a tumble at other awards shows in the past, but none of them could possibly be as adorable as Lawrence.

When she finally made it to the microphone, she was noticeably flustered and overcome with emotion. The crowd gave her a standing ovation, and she began her speech with, “You guys are just standing up because you feel bad that I fell and that’s really embarrassing, but thank you. This is nuts!”

She proved through her speech and genuine happiness exactly how down-to-earth she is. And this was amplified after the ceremony when Jack Nicholson walked by as Lawrence was doing an interview with ABC News and she freaked out at the sight of him like a starstruck fan. I think that was the most real moment I’ve seen from a celebrity in a long time, maybe ever.

Morrissey shoots down Kimmel appearance

The former lead vocalist of The Smiths was scheduled to perform on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” Tuesday night but canceled because of Kimmel’s other guests. The cast of A&E show “Duck Dynasty,” which follows a family of wealthy duck hunters who sell products for other hunters, was also slated to appear Tuesday night, and the show went on with them. Morrissey announced that he was unwilling to appear on the same television program as the “Duck Dynasty” cast due to moral obligations.

He released a statement Monday that read, “As far as my reputation is concerned, I can’t take the risk of being on a show alongside people who, in effect, amount to animal serial killers. If Jimmy cannot dump ‘Duck Dynasty,’ then we must step away.” Kimmel did not dump the cast and instead replaced Morrissey with alternative band Churchill. While I understand the longtime vegetarian and animal-rights activist’s reasoning, canceling his appearance last minute seems rude and unnecessary.

Morrissey ended up looking a little foolish anyway, because Kimmel (in typical comedic fashion) got the last laugh.

“While I respect his stance on this, I really do, there’s a very good reason why I didn’t dump the ‘Duck Dynasty’ guys for Morrissey,” Kimmel said on Tuesday’s show. “It’s because they have guns, and Morrissey doesn’t.”