INDIANAPOLIS – The Ohio State football contingent wrapped up its stay at the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, and will now look to OSU’s March 8 Pro Day as the next opportunity to impress NFL franchises. Three of the seven Buckeyes invited to participate in the Combine worked out on Monday at Lucas Oil Stadium and had the option of participating in the usual battery of tests, including the 40-yard dash, vertical and broad jumps, bench press and 20- and 60-yard shuttle runs.
Former Buckeyes’ defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins is widely considered to be OSU’s best draft prospect and a likely first-round selection in April’s NFL Draft. Hankins participated in just three drills on Monday, posting a 5.31-second 40-yard dash, a 26-inch vertical jump and a 104-inch broad jump.
Former OSU defensive lineman Nate Williams participated in four drills, posting a 4.88-second 40-yard dash, a 35-inch vertical jump, a 113-inch broad jump and 24 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press.
The best scores in Hankins’ and Williams’s position group belonged to Missouri’s Zaviar Gooden, who ran 4.47-second 40-yard dash, Connecticut’s Trevardo Williams, who reached 38 inches in the vertical jump, and LSU’s Barkevious Mingo, who reached 128 inches in the broad jump. Southern Methodist’s Margus Hunt put up 38 repetitions on the bench press.
Hankins confirmed on Saturday that he would opt to delay his bench press until OSU’s March 8 Pro Day.
Of the 35 linebackers to run the 40-yard dash on Monday, former OSU linebacker Etienne Sabino had the 14th best time, a 4.75-second scamper. Sabino also posted a 114-inch broad jump and 24 reps on the bench press.
The best 40-yard dash time among linebackers was Gooden’s, while the top linebacker bench presser, Georgia’s Cornelius Washington, hoisted the bar 36 times. Southern Miss’ Jamie Collins posted the top broad jump with a distance of 139 inches.
OSU defensive lineman John Simon only participated in physical examinations and team interviews at this year’s Combine due to a shoulder injury he sustained during Senior Bowl practices in January. Simon confirmed on Saturday that he received surgery earlier this month to “clean up” the injured shoulder, adding that he that isn’t sure he will be healthy in time for OSU’s Pro Day.
Other OSU invitees to the Combine include former fullback and linebacker Zach Boren, who worked out on Sunday with quarterbacks and running backs, and former offensive lineman Reid Fragel and tight end and receiver Jake Stoneburner, who both worked out on Saturday. Stoneburner trained with the tight end group.
The NFL Scouting Combine continues tomorrow at 9 a.m. when defensive backs take to the turf for the final day of drills and tests.