Ohio State junior guard Aaron Craft was chosen as the Academic All-America Team Member of the Year for Division I men’s basketball by Capital One Thursday.

Craft, a native of Findlay, Ohio, is a nutrition major who has plans to go on to medical school. He holds a 3.92 GPA.

He was named to the Capital One Academic All-America for the second consecutive year, and also received the NCAA Elite 89 Award for highest GPA at the 2012 NCAA Tournament Final Four.

The award is given to student-athletes who are either varsity starters or key reserves with at least a 3.30 cumulative GPA. The athletes must also be at least a sophomore in both athletic and academic standings and be nominated by their sports information director.

The athlete is then selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America, a 2,800 member national organization made up of public and media relations and communications professionals in all levels of U.S. and Canadian college athletics.

Craft leads the Buckeyes in steals with 51 this season. He also holds OSU records for steals in a season with 98 and for assists in a game with 15.

This season, he averages 9.2 points, 4.6 assists and two steals per game.

Craft has played an average of 33 minutes per game, second only to the Buckeyes’ lead scorer, junior forward Deshaun Thomas.

Craft has also been named to the Big Ten’s All-Freshman Team (2011), a third-team All-Big Ten selection (2012), the Big Ten All-Defensive Team twice (2011, 2012) and was Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year for 2012.

He also earned the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award for 2012.

OSU currently holds a 19-7 record and is ranked No. 18 by the AP poll.

The Buckeyes are set to play Michigan State Sunday at 4 p.m. at the Schottenstein Center.