Commentary: German Village a Columbus oasis with treasures for readers, eaters, outdoor explorers

March 5, 2013

Rose Davidson

Caitlin Essig / Arts editor

Columbus is brimming with interesting neighborhoods beyond the borders of Ohio State. Each week, The Lantern will spotlight an area in or around Columbus.

As the season soon turns to spring and students begin seeking a distraction from projects and exams, a calming refuge can be found in the quiet comfort of Columbus’ German Village.

Just south of downtown, Victorian-era buildings and brick-paved roads transport visitors to a simpler, less-industrialized time reminiscent of a small European town. The area was settled by German immigrants in the 1800s and made its way onto the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Since then, German Village has remained an area with quiet charm and rich cultural heritage, and it’s just a short ride from campus on the No. 8 COTA bus line.

Shop

For shopping that comes with great prices and an unbeatable atmosphere, visitors should look no further than The Book Loft. The No. 8 bus will drop visitors almost directly in front of the shop, which is located at 631 S. Third St. With 32 rooms packed with bargain books, it’s easy to spend hours inside the store simply browsing the shelves. 

The Book Loft is a treasure trove for avid readers with a room for just about every genre, ranging from military history to best-sellers and new releases. For shoppers not so keen on reading, an array of CDs, DVDs, magazines, calendars, posters, greeting cards and puzzles can also be found in the store. The independent shop celebrated its 35th anniversary last spring and is certainly one of the must-visits of German Village.

Dine

Arguably the toughest part about visiting German Village is figuring out where to eat. The area boasts an extensive list of independent restaurants with unique menus to match. Skillet, located at 410 E. Whittier St., is one such establishment.

The restaurant serves up intriguing comfort food combinations, such as the stone-ground white cheddar grits with braised brisket for $5, and it’s all made from seasonal, local ingredients. Barcelona is another restaurant worth checking out – just a few steps away from Skillet at 263 E. Whittier St., diners can find a variety of tapas and other Spanish-inspired dishes, as well as a lengthy list of creative cocktails.

On March 23, German Village is scheduled to host a food tasting tour through a program called “A La Carte Food Tours.” The three-hour event will offer samples from three of the area’s most talked-about eateries. The first is Katzinger’s Delicatessen, a colorfully decorated sandwich spot with more than 60 creatively named options to choose from. The next destination on the tour is the original location of Max & Erma’s, a Midwest burger joint based out of Columbus. The third and final stop is Schmidt’s Restaurant und Sausage Haus, an authentic establishment still managed by the German family that opened it in 1967. The tour also takes tasters next door to Schmidt’s Fudge Haus, where those with a sweet tooth can delight in handcrafted treats made from smooth Belgian chocolate.

Explore

On days when the weather warrants an adventure outdoors, Schiller Park provides a sprawling sanctuary for relaxation in the heart of German Village. In walking distance from most of the area’s restaurants, the park is a great place to stroll after a filling meal. The 23-acre park is named after a German poet, Friedrich von Schiller, for whom a bronze statue was erected on the grounds in 1891. There’s plenty to do at Schiller Park with a fishing pond, a recreation center and an amphitheater where Actors’ Theatre of Columbus performs Shakespearean plays in the summer months. 

1. glen b says:

With either the willfully blind approval or the willful ignorance of the judiciary the right has killed & stolen several of my pets and routinely shoot energy weaponry at me and my pets. Recent harm to animals include: two kittens from a pregnant stray i took in were killed a few days ago. The remaining two, just 3 weeks old, shake their head as government operatives shoot them with energy weaponry. They shot the eye out or removed the eye of a large really good natured stray at the port, hobbled another cat at the port, shooting it with energy weaponry, and routinely kill and leave dead animals in my path. A few years ago one of them threatened, prophetic, ‘we’ll just kill a cat every so often’, in so many words. This has continued despite my calls to the police, the FBI, Congress, and my petitions in court. .

2. glen b says:

In the usual case, it appears that the right goes to a judicial crony for a ruling permitting them to harm animals to retaliate against me for my free speech. There’s no serious argument but that they interfered with my personal life and economic options for 3 decades, so their solution to my noting it is to kill animals. Makes perfect sense right? It does if you’re virtually sociopathic and hawkish. Invariably their lies are exposed and the wrongfulness of the harm is clear to everyone, though not until the animals have been maimed or killed. There is really only one solution, and that’s to disempower them politically.

3. glen b says:

Typically operating through Puppets–including puppets in the judiciary–the right wing has for decades been committing crimes and trying to classify them to cover them up, a move explicitly forbidden by the Code of Federal Regulations. The right has accomplished its political objectives by presenting a fraction of the evidence to judicial officials who, having seen the pattern dozens of times before, could not help but realize that they were being presented with incomplete and inaccurate information.

4. glen b says:

If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats’ great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and 9th Circuit case 11-56043.