The long, curly locks of Darwin Deez, whose real name is Darwin Smith, match his band’s fun, upbeat music, which Smith said has a widespread fanbase

“It’s catchy. People like catchy music, and what makes it catchy is difficult to say,” he said.

The band is scheduled to make a stop in Columbus at Ace of Cups 8 p.m. Monday.

“It’s going to be a lot of fun, it’s gonna be a good crowd,” said Ben Hamilton, the concert promoter who set up the show.

The band recently released its new music video for the song, “You Can’t Be My Girl,” for which Smith said he has received a great response.

“It’s one of my favorite songs from the new record,” Smith said. “We shot (the video) in London in one day, and it turned out great and we really love it.”  

Fans like Lindsay Eyster, a third-year in math, appreciate Smith for his fun, energetic style. 

“The music is really upbeat and always puts me in a good mood,” Eyster said. 

Hamilton said ticket sales have been doing very well and he’s looking forward to the show.

“The music is really smart and fun, and also it’s got a really groovy beat. You can bug out to it,” Hamilton said. 

The band’s current tour is Smith’s main concern, he said.

“I’m just trying to keep my head above water on this tour, I’m not really working on any new music or anything right now,” Smith said.

Hamilton also said one of the opening bands, June66, has a similar sound and will appeal to Smith’s fans. 

“They’re kind of pretty crazy, they all sing, but they’ve got props and costumes and it’s gonna be a really fun time,” Hamilton said.

June66 along with Caged Animals, are scheduled to open for Darwin Deez at Ace of Cups at 2619 N. High St. Monday night. Doors open at 8 p.m., and tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door.