Home » A+E » Multi-instrumentalist solo artist to pump out variety of musical genres in Columbus show

Multi-instrumentalist solo artist to pump out variety of musical genres in Columbus show

Courtesy of Kristen Ford

A little indie rock, country, reggae and rock ‘n’ roll are rolling into town this weekend ­- all from one woman in a solo show.  
Kristen Ford is scheduled to perform at the Woodlands Tavern 8 p.m. Sunday.
The Ohio native often performs with the Kristen Ford Band, which has changed membership several times during the three years she’s been playing with the band.
“I like it being the Kristen Ford Band because I can control who plays with me and if someone can’t make it, finding a replacement is not a big deal,” Ford said.
She usually has a five-piece band, consisting of drums, trumpet, bass, violin and Ford on lead guitar, however while on the road performances could be anything from the five members to a trio or a duo.
But for her show at Woodlands Tavern, her band will not be present.
“The Ohio shows I will actually be solo. It’s a pretty big sound, I play percussion with my feet, and I play three different string instruments, harmonica, beat box, I use a looping pedal to make things sound fuller, and I make up songs with audience help,” Ford said.
One of her favorite songs to perform is “Pretty Little Mind” from the EP “Airplane,” she said, adding it has a great hook and storyline, which the audience usually reacts well to.
Ford described her music as mostly indie rock, however she likes to mix acoustic, electric elements, as well as reggae, rock ‘n’ roll, country and even a little pop.
“I love a good pop song hook,” Ford said.
Some students noted that her music sounds a lot different than typical artists of today.
“She sounded a lot different than anything that I usually hear on the radio,” said Taylor Stevens, a second-year in psychology.
However, Jess Cooper, a second-year in pharmaceutical sciences, thinks Ford’s music sounds comparable to other artists.
“I like the sound, but it is the type of music I would study to or listen to in the car,” Cooper said. “(But) I think she sounds really similar to other contemporary artists I have heard.”
The Kristen Ford Band helped Ford with her third and latest record “The Grindstone,” released in September 2011, and is working on a follow-up, she said.
“The next album should be fun. It’s going to be a more big band with electronic elements and soulful with some hip-hop,” Ford said.
Ford said she is an independent artist, which comes with a bit of responsibilities.
“I am the booking agent, I’m the publicist, I’m the touring manger, I’m the artist, I’m the guitar tech,” she said.
Ford is on a seven-week international tour. She will be traveling to major cities in the U.S. as well as traveling abroad to Berlin and Barcelona.
The Woodlands Tavern is located at 1200 W. 3rd Ave.

An earlier version of this story stated Kristen Ford’s music is not something Jess Cooper would study to or listen to in the car. Indeed it is the kind of music she would study to or listen to in the car.

1. Iwant to to thank you for this very good read!! I definitely loved every bit of it.
    I’ve gott you book-marked to check out new stuff
    you post…

2. This blog was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something that helped me.
    Thank you!

3. Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that
    I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts.

Any way I’ll be subscribing to your augment and
    even I achievement you access consistently fast.

4. Hello there! Quick question that’s totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?
    My website looks weird when viewing from my apple iphone.
    I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to fix
    this problem. If you have any suggestions, please share.
    Appreciate it!

5. Whats up are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog world but
    I’m trying to get started and create my own. Do you need any coding knowledge to make your own blog?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6. 88mm vast by 63mm deep) and lighter (129g) than its predecessor,
    and it sports activities an all-black plastic skin getting a very faint design on the rear encounter.
    Having an early warning of such problems sent
    to your smartphone means you can immediately call someone to sort out the problem before it becomes a full-scale
    disaster. One could make a strong case indeed that the Motorola i-930 for Nextel
    doesn’t require Bluetooth as a necessary component because I-930 has
    Nextel’s famous walkie-talkie features and supports Nextel Direct
    Connect and Direct Talk Services and that’s just for appetizers.

7. I constantly spent my half an hour to read this blog’s posts everyday along with a mug of coffee.

8. This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post.
    Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks!

9. In a recent Flurry blog post, Peter Fargo writes, “Recently, no industry has
    been more impacted by digital distribution than video games.
    s very easy for any parent to presuppose their child would never become involved in the drug scene,
    but drug usage among kids and teens is a stark reality.
    One thing that a parent needs to ensure is that the child is using
    suitable screen for the game.

10. What i don’t realize is in fact how you are not really much more smartly-liked than you may be right now.
    You are so intelligent. You know thus considerably with regards to this subject, produced me
    in my view believe it from so many various angles.
    Its like men and women aren’t involved except it is something to accomplish with Lady gaga!
    Your personal stuffs excellent. Always deal with it up!

11. When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time
    a comment is added I get three e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Appreciate it!

1. Pingback: 12 minute Payday