While the immediate threat of a shooting or explosive violence on campus has passed, Ohio State University Police Deputy Chief Richard Morman said there will still be additional security on campus.
Morman said “we’re going to have an increased presence on campus” in the days following the Sunday public safety notice from University Police.
“We do feel that we’re past the specific time and date, which was (Monday), but we are going to maintain (security),” he said.
University Police issued a public safety notice Sunday at about 7:30 p.m., making students and staff aware of the situation. The threat had been geared at a “cafeteria” or unspecified area on campus, and police forces were on campus Monday investigating the claims that were made on a chat website.
A message from University Police at about 4:30 p.m. Monday said the immediate window of threat had passed, but encouraged students and staff to remain aware of their surroundings.
According to the notice sent Monday afternoon, it is still unknown if the incident is related to a similar threat to an unspecified cafeteria reported last week.
The Sunday notice came four days after University Police issued a notice for a similar concern after it was notified of threats made on a fantasy, role-player game site.
Local, state and federal law enforcement were on campus assisting with the ongoing investigation, but Morman said the department does not discuss numbers or tactics involved.
“We’ve been asking people to be extra diligent if they see things that don’t belong,” Morman said Monday afternoon.
Arps Hall was evacuated Monday after authorities were made aware of a suspicious package. However, after investigating, it was discovered not to be a threat.
University Police was aided by two of its own explosive detective dogs, but Morman said extra dogs were working on campus Monday.
Morman said closing campus was discussed, but the decision to cancel classes is not up to University Police.
“We would have some input in it, and it was obviously something discussed,” he said.
Morman deferred to OSU Media Relations for information on who makes the decision on canceling class or closing the campus.
University spokeswoman Liz Cook said in a Monday email that it was determined “all appropriate security measures” were being taken to protect campus.
“Thousands of faculty, staff, students, patients and guests depend on the university, and after enhancing and assuring safety precautions, we made the decision to maintain all campus operations,” Cook said.
Cook did not immediately return requests for comment regarding which individuals or groups decide when it is appropriate to close campus.
For snow days on campus, several university departments collaborate and OSU President E. Gordon Gee makes the final decision to cancel class.
Some departments involved on the administrative team that assesses snow day factors include Emergency Management, University Police, Facilities Operations and Development, Student Life and Transportation and Traffic Management, according to a January Lantern article.
However, some students said class should have been called off in light of the threat.
“Classes should be canceled because this should not be taken lightly, it freaks me out. I think (campus officials) are taking it too lightly,” said Geri Newman, a first-year in fashion and retail studies.
Newman said she was avoiding places where food can be bought on campus Monday, however other students were less concerned.
“People tend to overemphasize safety notices,” said Sarah Barringer, a second-year in English. “People get excited too much and freak out.”

Logan Hickman and Brandon Klein contributed to this article.