The Ohio State softball team swept a doubleheader against Michigan State on Wednesday at Buckeye Field. The Buckeyes won the first game by a score of 4-1, and took the second 6-3 to improve their record to 29-17 overall and 8-9 in Big Ten play.

The first game was tied at one until the bottom of the sixth inning when Buckeye sophomore catcher Shelby Pickett connected for a three-run home run. The eventual game winner was Pickett’s second hit of the game, and she tied her career high with three RBIs.

Sophomore pitcher Alex DiDomenico threw her 11th complete game of the season while allowing the Spartans (21-20, 7-6 B1G) to only collect three hits in the game. She improved her overall record to 13-7 and struck out 10 Spartan hitters, the last of which ended the game with two runners on base.

In the second game, Ohio State took an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the 1st when freshman Cammi Prantl scored on an error. The Spartans came back to grab a 3-1 lead in the top of the third though, after senior third baseman Jayme O’Bryant hit a three-run home run.

The Buckeyes took the lead for good in the bottom of the fourth after sophomore outfielder Caitlin Conrad’s single scored freshman utility player Jesse Machovina. Both Conrad and senior Megan Coletta scored in the same inning on a two-run single by sophomore outfielder Taylor Watkins.

DiDomenico relieved redshirt junior starter Melanie Nichols in the top of the fifth with the bases loaded and two out. DiDomenico was able to work out of the jam though, as the only pitch she threw in the inning was lined to Pickett at second base by Spartan catcher Stephanie Sanders. She only allowed one hit over the next two innings to end the game.

OSU added two insurance runs in the sixth on Conrad’s RBI single on a suicide squeeze in front of home plate, which allowed junior Melissa Rennie to score after she posted an RBI triple to left center field.

The Buckeyes are scheduled to host Big Ten foe Minnesota for a three-game series starting Friday at 6 p.m. at Buckeye Field.