Postings to fantasy role-player game sites which reference a potential public safety threat prompted the Ohio State University Police Division to send out a public safety notice late Wednesday morning.

The threat of violence focused on a “cafeteria” on OSU’s campus, according to the notice. Extra police and security presence are on and around campus dining facilities, with assistance from federal, state and local law enforcement agencies.

The public safety notice was sent via email at around 11:30, and a text message was sent by the OSU Department of Public Safety as well.

However, some students don’t think the situation warranted a safety alert.

“I think it’s unnecessary. The police and campus security could be doing something more important,” said David Leigh, a fourth-year in English.

Others said they understood why the threat was being taken seriously.

“With other things happening at other schools, the school is a lot more worried about it. But I don’t think it’s something the students need to know. It’s not really something we need to worry about,” said Sierra Cooper, a fourth-year in English and psychology.

OSU Police Chief Paul Denton and Deputy Chief of Police Richard Morman were not immediately available for comment.

According to the notice, anyone with information concerning the crime should contact the University Police or Columbus Police.

Meghan Wallis contributed to this article.