It’s only fitting that my last fashion column as an Ohio State student would be about finding the perfect commencement outfit. After four years of fashion hits and misses, every fashionista is bound to want to look like perfection on a day that celebrates what is sure to be one of her proudest accomplishments. Keeping it classy while staying true to who you are after four whirlwind years will keep you confident all the way across the 50-yard line.

Wearing white is optional: It might have been a tradition for you to wear white at your high school graduation ceremony, but now it’s time to start some new traditions. Amp up a basic white dress with a flashy belt or colorful shoes. You can also add a bib necklace for some unexpected glam. If white isn’t totally your thing, you have plenty of other options including floral patterns, nautical stripes or pretty pastels. You can also opt for a basic little red dress that would be perfect for starting the next chapter of your life as an OSU alumna.

Consider the cold: This year’s weather has been anything but predictable. No matter what color dress you choose, think about what type of sleeve you’re looking for. I recommend something strapless or sleeveless that would allow you to easily layer a cardigan without any unwanted shoulder padding. You can also opt for three-quarter length sleeves if you’re someone who prefers to let the dress stand by itself. 

Hone in on the hemline: Graduation is a time when students really take a step into the world of adulthood, and the length of your dress should reflect that. Try to avoid anything super flouncy or short if you plan on taking pictures outside since the Ohio wind is notorious for having Marilyn Monroe-like effects. If you prefer shorter dresses, look for something that hits just above the knee to avoid shortening the look of your legs while maintaining some modesty. You can also opt for a tea-length dress that will hit just below the knee if you feel comfortable more covered up.

Strut your stuff: During the ceremony, the only thing people will be able to see are your shoes, so make sure you can walk in them. Avoid pumps with skinny heels and sky-high wedges that would risk you taking a tumble on the field. You’re likely to be standing in the procession line for a while so two- to three-inch wedges will probably be your most comfortable high-heel option. You can also choose flat sandals or ballet flats if you’re not willing to take the risk.

College graduation is a symbol of all the hard work you put into four years of classes preparing you for the real world. It’s important that your outfit also symbolizes your efforts and reflects how far you’ve come as a student and soon-to-be alumna. Wearing something that you feel comfortable and confident in will ensure that you are ready to take the next steps into the rest of your life. Congratulations, class of 2013.