When Ohio State announced on June 4 that President E. Gordon Gee was retiring from his post effective July 1, many students, faculty and community members were left with lingering questions of who will replace him, how much the new president will be paid and how this person will be selected.

Gee’s retirement came soon after controversial comments he made regarding Notre Dame and the academic integrity of the SEC became public. Executive Vice President and Provost Joseph Alutto will serve as the interim president.

Gee is the third highest paid university president, earning slightly less than $1.9 million in the 2011-2012 fiscal year. Gee has been president at OSU since October 2007, but previously served as university president from 1990-1997.

With this in mind, some are looking toward other Big 10 presidents to gather an idea of what qualities the next OSU president may have and what kind of pay he or she might expect to receive.

Here is a breakdown of information about the other Big 10 university presidents.

University of Illinois – Robert A. Easter

President Robert A. Easter has been the president of the University of Illinois’ three campuses (Urbana-Champaign, Chicago and Springfield) since July 1, 2012. He is the university’s 19th president.

Easter’s annual salary is $450,000 and he receives no deferred compensation or retention incentive. Easter serves on a year-to-year appointment with no multi-year contract, according to an email from Thomas Hardy, executive director of university relations at University of Illinois.

Though the University of Illinois has a president’s house at its Urbana campus, Easter lives in his family’s home near the Champaign area. He also has access to a condominium in Chicago owned by the University of Illinois Foundation. Easter occasionally makes use of a university provided car-and-driver service, but often drives himself to and from events in his family vehicle, Hardy said.

Easter was a senior administrator and faculty member at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for nearly 40 years before being appointed president. During this time, Easter earned a doctorate in animal science in 1976, according to the University of Illinois website.

Indiana University – Michael A. McRobbie

President Michael A. McRobbie has been president of Indiana University since July 1, 2007, when he became the university’s 18th president.

McRobbie received $653,258 in total compensation in 2012. His base salary was $533,120 with a bonus of $34,138. He also earned $50,000 in deferred compensation and $36,000 in retirement pay, both set aside. McRobbie receives a housing allowance of $48,000 and a university-owned car valued at $1,201, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

He held various senior administrative roles at Indiana University for a 10-year period before a unanimous vote by the Indiana University Board of Trustees to appoint him to president, according to the Indiana University website.

McRobbie is a native of Australia where he earned a bachelor’s degree from the University of Queensland and a doctoral degree from the Australian National University.

University of Iowa – Sally Mason

President Sally Mason is the 20th president of the University of Iowa, a position she has held since Aug. 1, 2007.

Mason’s total compensation for 2012 was $633,350 with a base salary of $483,600. She received $125,000 in deferred compensation and $24,750 in retirement pay. In addition, she has an $8,400annual car allowance, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Mason was the first child in her family to attend college. She received a bachelor’s degree in zoology from the University of Kentucky, a master’s degree from Purdue University and her doctorate in cellular, molecular and developmental biology from the University of Arizona, according to the University of Iowa website.

University of Michigan – Mary Sue Coleman

President Mary Sue Coleman became the 13th president of the University of Michigan during August 2002.

Coleman received $918,783 in total compensation for 2012. Her base pay was $585,783 with a bonus of $100,000. In addition she received $175,000 in deferred compensation and $58,000 in retirement pay. She also receives an annual car allowance of$1,920, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Coleman and her husband live in the President’s House on the University of Michigan’s campus, according to the university’s website.

Coleman has an undergraduate degree in chemistry from Grinnell College and her doctorate in biochemistry from the University of North Carolina.

Michigan State University – Lou Anna K. Simon

President Lou Anna K. Simon has been president of Michigan State University since January 2005. She is the university’s 20th president.

Simon’s 2012 total compensation was $672,000 with a base pay of $520,000 and bonus pay of $100,000. She receives no housing from the university but has a university-owned car valued at $7,250, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Simon received her doctorate from Michigan State University in 1974 and has worked in various administrative roles at the university since, according to the Michigan State University website.

University of Minnesota – Eric Kaler

President Eric Kaler became the second alumnus of the university to become president of the University of Minnesota on July 1, 2011.

Kaler’s total compensation for 2012 was $653,235 with an annual base salary of $610,000 and $64,350 in retirement pay, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

He received his bachelor’s degree from the California Institute of Technology and his doctorate from the University of Minnesota in chemical engineering.

University of Nebraska – Harvey Perlman

Chancellor Harvey Perlman became the 19th chancellor of the University of Nebraska on April 1, 2001. He had served as interim chancellor of the university since July 16, 2000.

Perlman received $368,337 in total compensation in 2012. This was comprised of a base salary of $341,053 and $27,284 in retirement pay set aside, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Perlman received a bachelor’s degree in history and a juris doctor from the University of Nebraska.

Northwestern University – Morton Schapiro

President Morton Schapiro became the 16th president of Northwestern University on Dec. 16, 2008.

Schapiro received his bachelor’s degree in economics from Hofstra University and his doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania.

Compensation information for Schapiro is not publicly available.

Pennsylvania State University – Rodney A. Erickson

Rodney A. Erickson became president of Pennsylvania State University on Nov. 9, 2011, after serving as executive vice president and provost since 1999.

Erickson received $549,364 in total compensation for 2012. His base pay was $515,000 (started in Nov. 2011) with $34,364 in retirement pay. He also has a university-owned car valued at $5,664,according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Erickson received a bachelor’s degree and master’s degree from the University of Minnesota and has a doctorate in geography from the University of Washington.

Purdue University – Mitchell E. Daniels

President Mitchell E. Daniels, Jr. became Purdue University’s 12th president in January 2013 after a unanimous vote by the Purdue Board of Trustees in June of the previous year.

Daniels will receive $546,000 in total compensation for 2013, with a base salary of $420,000, according to a release from Purdue University.

Daniels received an undergraduate degree from Princeton University and a juris doctor from Georgetown University Law Center.

University of Wisconsin – David Ward

Chancellor David Ward became interim chancellor of the University of Wisconsin in July 2011, after having previously served in the position between 1993 and 2000.

Ward received $466,935 in total compensation for 2012. His base salary was $437,000 with $29,935 in retirement pay. He also has a university-owned car, which is valued at $4,800, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Ward was born in Manchester, England. He holds a bachelor’s and master’s degree from the University of Leeds and received his doctorate from the University of Wisconsin.

*Compensations are based on the 2012 fiscal year.