I have never, not once, managed to sit through an entire baseball game from first inning to last. Halfway through most games, I either get too fidgety to stay, the heat drives me out or whoever I am at the game with wants to leave early (which I never argue with).

That being said, I sat through the Columbus Clippers game on Monday from start to finish for the entire three plus hour affair, and it was not only hot, but rainy as well, but making it to the end was gratifying.

Before the game, I met with Joe Santry, media relations for the Clippers but also the historian for the team, who shared with me that many road names surrounding campus and Columbus (including the road I live on) are named after Clippers players. Neil. Chittenden. Those names sound familiar?

The Clippers are part of Columbus history, and not just as a baseball team. The name hanging above the stadium isn’t just a sponsor. Huntington used to be one of the worst baseball players on the team, and after a season where he didn’t have a single hit recorded (or one that lasted the records this long), he was told not to quit his day job, which so happened to be a bank teller.

While I would have chosen a cooler day (one where my shoulders weren’t burned by the end) and the random raining wasn’t ideal, it still was worth it to know the history behind the Clippers, the stadium and the relationship the team has with the city.

The only way the game could have been better: a hot dog.