Robin Thicke "Blurred Lines" album cover

Call Robin Thicke’s single “Blurred Lines” what you want: womanizing, racy or crass, but it has been one of the summer’s most requested songs, jockeying for the biggest summer hit next to Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky.”

And with good reason. It’s catchy. No matter what way you spin it, the track is about as catchy as they come.

The song features Pharrell Williams and T.I., whose name is Clifford Joseph Harris, Jr..

The rest of Thicke’s album follows in the raunchy footsteps of its single, jumping from pulsating electronic beats to old school sounding R&B to rap. Thicke doesn’t leave much area uncovered with his latest album, released Tuesday and also titled “Blurred Lines.”

“Take It Easy on Me” and “Give It 2 U” are dance floor ready, with more electronic and techno-based sounds, and will undoubtedly make their way into clubs everywhere. However, these two (and much of the rest of the album) fail in their lyrics. In a sexy falsetto in “Give It 2 U,” Thicke croons out lyrical junk that doesn’t match his fantastic vocals. The lyrics are not only cheesy, but are full of generic rhymes that are near abysmal. “You know you’re lookin so damn fly/ You’relookin like you fell from the sky/ You know you make a grown man cry,” Thicke sings. Obviously much like “Blurred Lines” he was going for the overly sexual, dance-ready song, but the lyrics could have used some work.

The more R&B sounding tracks “Get in My Way” and “4 The Rest of My Life” are the better songs on the album, showcasing Thicke’s vocals more than the others, with better lyrics as well.

The absolute best part of the album is Thicke’s vocals. Smooth, charming and a lot of variety, he at times sounds like Justin Timberlake’s “Suit & Tie.” One of the strongest tracks on the album, “Ain’t No Hat 4 That” also sounds Marvin Gaye-inspired, like the single.

Thicke’s album could have been great, but the lyrics ran so generic it sank. The sexual nature of the album isn’t in question, that much is quite clear, but Thicke could have created a racy album modeled after the single but instead regressed to overly obvious cheesy lyrics that sound like a lot of terrible pick up lines.

Grade: C+