Home » Sports » Football » Carlos Hyde suspended for at least first three games of 2013 season

Carlos Hyde suspended for at least first three games of 2013 season

Please follow and like us:
Facebook
Google+
Twitter
OSU senior running back Carlos Hyde has been suspended for at least the first three games of the 2013 season.

OSU senior running back Carlos Hyde has been suspended for at least the first three games of the 2013 season. Credit: Lantern file photo

Ohio State senior running back Carlos Hyde will be suspended for at least the first three games of the 2013 football season for “conduct not representative of (the) football program or (the) university,” OSU coach Urban Meyer announced in a statement Tuesday night.

The announcement came just hours after the Columbus Police Department announced in a media release of their own that charges will not be filed against Hyde, who had been named as a “person of interest” in a reported assault at Sugar Bar 2, located at 303 S. Front Street, at about 2 a.m. on July 20.

Columbus Police Sgt. Richard Weiner told The Lantern that police are no longer investigating the incident after Hyde’s accuser decided not to pursue assault charges against Hyde.

“The case is closed,” Weiner said.

Meyer, nonetheless, decided it was necessary to punish Hyde for his involvement in the incident. Hyde will be required to “fulfill additional obligations” before he is allowed to play in a game, according to the OSU media release.

Hyde had already been suspended indefinitely prior to Tuesday’s announcement. He will miss the team’s contests versus Buffalo, San Diego State and California, and Meyer’s statement leaves the possibility open that he could miss more time.

A copy of the raw surveillance video from the bar was obtained by The Lantern Tuesday afternoon where it appears Hyde engaged in an altercation with the alleged victim but it is unclear if physical contact was made by either of them.

 

The alleged victim released a statement to NBC4 Tuesday, explaining why she decided not to press charges.

“Some of the media has rushed to judgment regarding the incident to ensure they are the first to report the information, whether it be factual or false,” the statement said, according to NBC4’s website. “This has been overwhelming, frustrating and disappointing. It is unimaginable to be exposed to these false reports, claims and rumors and for anticipated 4 months expected to bring this incident to a conclusion.”

The alleged victim also thanked Columbus Police for the officers’ “patience and professionalism” during the investigation process. She said police told her she has up to two years to consider criminal charges against Hyde.

Hyde did not respond to The Lantern’s request for comment Tuesday afternoon.

Hyde was the Buckeyes’ starting running back last season, and was expected to retain his starting role this season. He had 185 carries for 970 rushing yards and 16 rushing touchdowns during last year’s undefeated season, along with eight receptions for 51 yards and one touchdown.

Hyde was also named to the 2013 preseason Doak Walker Award watch list, an award given to the top college football running back.

With Hyde out of the lineup for at least three games, the Buckeyes will have to rely upon a number of other running backs to step up in his place. Potential candidates to start at running back while Hyde is suspended include redshirtjunior Rod Smith, sophomore Bri’onte Dunn and redshirt freshman Warren Ball.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.