The Ohio State football team suffered hits to the depth of their defensive backfield this week in the form of two potentially career-ending shoulder injuries.

Redshirt junior cornerback Adam Griffin, son of former Buckeyes running back and two-time Heisman Trophy winner Archie Griffin, underwent shoulder surgery Thursday morning. The injury will “in all likelihood” prevent Adam Griffin from continuing to play football, according to an OSU athletics spokesman.

Redshirt senior defensive back Jamie Wood’s attempt to come back from multiple shoulder surgeries, including one that limited him to four games last season, has also ended due to a shoulder injury, according to the spokesman.

Griffin played in all 12 games for the Buckeyes last season. He played primarily on special teams and recorded 13 tackles.

Wood played in all 13 games of both the 2010 and 2011 seasons for the Buckeyes. He recorded 20 tackles between those two seasons and was, like Griffin, primarily a special teams player.

Not including Griffin and Wood, the Buckeyes still have 20 players listed as cornerbacks, safeties or defensive backs on their roster. Sophomore cornerback Najee Murray is currently suspended from the team due to a “training camp issue,” while redshirt junior cornerback Bradley Roby could still face a suspension following a misdemeanor battery arrest in Bloomington, Ind. on July 21.