A customer waits in line at Peet’s Coffee & Tea, located at 3645 N. High St. Credit: Kim Dailey / Lantern reporter

Columbus is waking up to a new, freshly-made brew this fall.

A new Peet’s Coffee & Tea location opened doors in Columbus Aug. 29 at 3645 N. High St., which previously hosted a Caribou Coffee.

“We’re excited to be expanding into the Columbus market and to be bringing Peet’s quality coffee and tea to residents,” David Burwick, president and CEO of Peet’s Coffee & Tea, said in an email.

The North High Street location, in addition to a store in Gahanna at 1370 Hamilton Road, is one of four total stores the company plans to open soon in the Columbus area. Peet’s is also slated to make appearances in Suite 2495 on 41 S. High St., on 2468 Northwest Blvd. in upper Arlington and on 8749 Sancus Blvd. in the near future, according to its website.

“Columbus has attracted many large national restaurants and retail chains and we are thrilled to be a part of this emerging landscape of businesses that are helping fuel the local economy,” Burwick said.

Founded by Alfred Peet in 1966 in Berkeley, Calif., Peet’s offers coffees and teas in multiple forms by sourcing the highest quality of coffee beans and tea leaves in the world, Burwick said.

“We focus a lot on freshness,” said Kristen Angeloff, assistant manager at the North High Street location. “Everything is made manually, so there are no automatic espresso or coffee machines.”

Dave Haas, store manager at the North High Street location, said one aspect that sets Peet’s apart from neighboring coffee shops is the company’s emphasis on tea being as important as coffee.

“There’s a lot of people who don’t like coffee, but drink tea,” Haas said. “It’s a whole different demographic. I think a lot of other coffee shops have lost that focus.”

Peet’s top sellers for coffee include Arabian Mocha-Java, which is $16.95 per pound, and Major Dickason’s Blend, $15.95 per pound. Jasmine Downy Pearls, which is $19.95 per 4-ounce package, and Pride of the Port, $11.95 per 4-ounce package, are among the top sellers for Peet’s tea.

Haas said Peet’s has a focus on the local community and charity, as well.

Bakery items and products not sold during the business day get donated instead of carrying the products overnight, Haas said. Also, on opening day, for every customer who visited the Columbus-area stores, $1 was donated to the Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, up to $5,000. The total amount donated to the conservatory will not be known until later this week, Haas said.

Lurleen Brinkman, manager at the nearby Global Gallery Coffee Shop at 3535 N. High St., said Global Gallery Coffee Shop’s non-profit organization is a business with heart and of compassion and is “different than an out-of-state coffee shop coming in and setting up shop.”

“We sell fair trade coffee,” Brinkman said. “Our profits go to support people in villages all around the world.”

Angeloff said after the opening weekend, Peet’s “definitely plans for growth” both within the store and around the community.

“I think we’ll become a staple in the community,” Angeloff said. “I think (Peet’s) will become a finer establishment for the greater Columbus area.”

Some students agree it will be a good add to the Columbus coffee scene.

“It’s something new and people will want to try it out,” said Athan Burlotos, a first-year in engineering.

Erica Copley, a second-year in computer science, also anticipates the store to succeed, but is not sure it will shine among other coffee shops.

“It will probably do well, we are all coffee heads here on campus, but I don’t know what they can do to stand out.”

A second Peet’s location also opened in Ohio Aug. 29, about 45 minutes away from campus in Heath, Ohio, at 719 Hebron Road.

Dan Hessler contributed to this story.