Actor Charlie Hunnam. Hunnam was cast to play Christian Grey in the upcoming "Fifty Shades of Grey" movie. Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Actor Charlie Hunnam. Hunnam was cast to play Christian Grey in the upcoming “Fifty Shades of Grey” movie. Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Soccer moms and romance enthusiasts can rest easy because “Fifty Shades of Grey” is in good hands. Actor Charlie Hunnam was announced this week to take the helm of the upcoming blockbuster as Christian Grey, the male protagonist and love interest of the series.

Though Hunnam may not be the most famous, he has always done two things right: fight and please women.

In his most recognizable role as Jackson “Jax” Teller in the FX series “Sons of Anarchy,” he does just that. As one of the top ranking members of their California motorcycle club, Hunnam has thrown his fists at more than a handful of rival biker gangs. He is rugged, cocky, hot-headed and not someone you want to cross paths with.

Women adore him, his gang members love him and the enemy even envies him.

Hunnam also starred in this summer’s blockbuster “Pacific Rim” (2013) as protagonist Raleigh Becket, a pilot of one of the giantJaeger robots, a futuristic robot. It is clear that Hunnam went through strenuous physical training for the role and he was not afraid to show it. The female lead couldn’t help but blankly stare at him shirtless with his 8-pack abs in the movie.

Physical prowess has always dominated Hunnam’s career. He knocks around some serious heads in the brawler “Green Street Hooligans” (2005) and has some sensual love scenes with actress Olivia Wilde in “Deadfall” (2012).

Based on his portrayal of Jax alone, I have confidence he will do well in “Fifty Shades of Grey.” While part of me feels the movie will be aimed toward women, I feel Hunnam could bring in a small crowd of “Sons of Anarchy” fans as well.

The book series has stirred a lot of attention the past few years for its controversial content involving explicit erotic scenes. How the director Sam Taylor-Johnson chooses to portray the male role in the famous dominant-submissive scenes could turn even more heads at the box office.

Hunnam is set to play opposite actress Dakota Johnson, who will portray his love interest, Anastasia Steele. The movie is set for a summer 2014 release.