Michigan fans cheer at the football game against OSU at Ohio Stadium Nov. 24, 2012. OSU won, 26-21. Credit: Daniel Chi / For The Lantern

The Ohio State and Michigan rivalry is heating up early this year after a photo hit the Internet of Michigan’s band spelling out “OHNO” during Saturday’s halftime show at the Wolverines’ game against Central Michigan. Naturally, the news evoked a variety of responses from Buckeye fans, from trash-talking the state up north to snickering at the stunt.

Personally, I found our rival’s gag to be laughable at best, but certainly not classless, as some were commenting online.

This early stab at OSU is surely the start of a long season of mocking by Michigan. They’re hungrier than ever for a win after OSU’s victory in Ohio Stadium last year, one that gave us a perfect season at that.

While you will certainly hear Michigan jokes on campus all year round, the intense bashing doesn’t usually commence until mid-November. Until that time, the big game is usually pushed to the back of everyone’s minds.

But should it be?

Maybe Michigan has the right idea.

OSU’s annual Beat Michigan Week is often packed with enough spirit events to keep any football fan happy, but the heated anticipation for the game is over in just seven days. Who says the spirit of the rivalry only has to last a week?

With this year’s game in Ann Arbor, Mich., OSU needs as much support as it can get. If the Buckeyes start pumping up for the big event now, there’s a chance that once Nov. 30 arrives, Michigan won’t know what hit them.