To make summer dresses wearable in colder weather, try adding a pair of knit tights to build a cozy fall outfit.  Credit: Courtesy of MCT

To make summer dresses wearable in colder weather, try adding a pair of knit tights to build a cozy fall outfit.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

As the summer days become punctuated more and more heavily with signs of a quickly approaching fall, we are faced with a question that reappears year after year: How do we keep wearing our summer staples when the temperature drops? With a few key pieces to aid the transition between seasons, almost everything can still be worn as the seasons change once again.

Light layers

For days that begin on a chilly note but heat up as time passes, it’s always a good idea to layer pieces in lightweight fabrics that can easily be removed or added when necessary. Jeans paired with a comfy tee, a cardigan and a scarf provide plenty of opportunities to either cool down or warm up, depending on what the situation calls for. Lightweight garments also prevent the outfit from appearing too bulky, meaning more layers and more chances to make sure you’re as comfortable as possible.

Add tights

When the leaves change colors, there’s no reason to pack away summer dresses when making them wearable for fall is as easy as adding a pair of knit tights. Not only will the tights keep you nice and toasty, but they’ll also add a cozy texture that just screams autumn. Don’t be afraid to shy away from plain black tights once in a while, either. Other colors perfect for fall are maroon, olive and gray. The opportunities to build the perfect fall outfit are endless with this little addition.

Change your footwear

Even if the rest of your outfit is something you would have worn in the summer, swapping out the go-to sandals for a heavier pair of boots perfectly grounds the ensemble in the present season. Whether your style is tall riding boots or ankle booties, there are options for fall footwear. Don’t be timid about not only pairing boots with jeans — they look just as good when paired with dresses and skirts.

Swap out brights

Even though I’d love to wear my neon cropped shirts all autumn long, it just doesn’t feel right to mix something so bold into a fall-based color palette. Reaching for darker, muted pieces during this season is always a great idea and really makes transitioning between the seasons feel complete. Muted colors like amber, wine and chestnut all feel particularly inviting and cozy, which is never a bad thing when the weather starts to cool down. If you absolutely can’t live without those in-your-face colors, though, feel free to add them to your outfits in small doses. A bold scarf or a blindingly bright bag never hurt anybody.

Embrace the change of the seasons, and this will be your best fall yet for fashion.