Home » A+E » Irish-based artist Dennis McNulty to visit Wex, talk of ‘Interzone’

Irish-based artist Dennis McNulty to visit Wex, talk of ‘Interzone’

A scene from Dennis McNulty’s film ‘Interzone.’ The film is showing at the Wexner Center for the Arts exhibition space through Sept 30. The Wexner Center’s Artist’s Talk and Screening with McNulty is slated for Sept. 12. Credit: Courtesy of Dennis McNulty

A scene from Dennis McNulty’s film ‘Interzone.’ The film is showing at the Wexner Center for the Arts exhibition space through Sept 30. The Wexner Center’s Artist’s Talk and Screening with McNulty is slated for Sept. 12.
Credit: Courtesy of Dennis McNulty

An Ireland-based artist will be visiting Ohio State’s campus to discuss his piece, painting a picture of landscapes evolving from housing projects to retail complexes.

The Wexner Center for the Arts is hosting an artist’s talk and screening event with Irish artist Dennis McNulty in the Film/Video Theater Thursday at 4:30 p.m.

The event is in conjunction with “Interzone,” a film by McNulty showing now through Sept. 30 in the Wexner Center’s rotating exhibition space, known as The Box.

Jennifer Lange, curator of the Wexner Center’s Film/Video Studio Program, said the event is a hybrid event in which McNulty will speak to the audience and show films relating to the themes in “Interzone.”

“The films that are being screened explore the relationship people have to landscapes, technology and to the environment,” Lange said. “I think it is a nice idea to show these films relating to some of the events.”

The screening is scheduled to feature films from London-based filmmaker Ben Rivers, MIT professor Kevin Lynch, New York-based artist Lana Lin and British artist Dan Walwin. A video will also be shown previewing Google Glass, a wearable computer developed by Google.

Lange said there is a balance of high art, with a touch of theatrics, versus commercial work at the event.

Candace Flynn, a fifth-year in molecular genetics, said the event seems interesting because of the topic of technology and its relationship to people.

“It’s interesting to see how technology affects time and how it changes how people use it,” Flynn said.

However, Jason Bray, a fourth-year in computer science and engineering, said the event did not interest him because films about the environment seem “preachy.”

“I’m not an art guy,” Bray said. “If the film is supposed to be informative, I’d rather read about it.”

“Interzone” is based on the changing landscape of Dublin, Ireland’s suburbs and follows the story of a single woman’s journey throughout these changes.

Lange said the film was made in residence with the Wexner’s Film/Video Studio Program, which gives artists access to studio and post-production facilities.

McNulty used the Wexner’s facilities for post-production work on the 13-minute experimental piece last year, setting the film to a menacing alien soundtrack, according to the film’s description on the Wexner Center’s website.

“Sound is super important in the piece,” Lange said.

Along with his solo projects, McNulty has contributed his talents to a variety of collaborations and contributions such as films and movie soundtracks, according to his curriculum vitae on his website. In addition to his residency within the Wexner Center, McNulty has received residencies from Brown University and ZK/U Berlin, a venue offering artists two- to 12-month residencies for artistic research.

McNulty did not immediately respond for comment.

Admission for the artists’ talk and screening is free for all ages.