Ohio State student remembered for her positive spirit

September 18, 2013

mitchell.935@osu.edu
Maria Tiberi (left), a 21-year-old OSU student in communication, with her father, Dom Tiberi. Maria Tiberi died after a Sept. 17 car accident. Credit: Courtesy of 10TV

Maria Tiberi (left), a 21-year-old OSU student in communication, with her father, Dom Tiberi. Maria Tiberi died after a Sept. 17 car accident.
Credit: Courtesy of 10TV

An Ohio State student died as a result of a Tuesday evening car accident in Hilliard.

Maria Tiberi, 21, from Dublin, Ohio, was a student in communication, according to the university directory.

“We are deeply saddened to hear of this tragic accident, and our hearts and thoughts are with Maria’s family and friends. The departments of the Office of Student Life, including Student Advocacy and Counseling and Consultation Service, are making themselves available to be of whatever assistance may be required,” said OSU Student Life spokesman Dave Isaacs in a Wednesday afternoon email.

According to the Hilliard Division of Police, officers discovered a semi-tractor trailer struck from behind by a Toyota Corolla. The report said the “initial investigation indicates that the semi-tractor trailer was stopped in heavy traffic on the interstate at the time of the accident.”

Tiberi was the only occupant of the Corolla at the time of the accident, and she was transported to Grant Medical Center where she later died. The 30-year-old female driver of the semi-tractor sustained no injuries.

Grant Medical Center representatives did not return requests for comment Wednesday.

Tiberi was a 2010 Graduate of Dublin Coffman High School, and principal Mike Ulring said in an email she was a “wonderful young lady” with a positive spirit.

“Maria was a tremendous asset to Dublin Coffman High School and we are all shocked and devastated to learn about her loss,” Ulring said. “I will never forget and can still picture her amazing smile that she so effortlessly blessed us with each day. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Tiberi family as they remain great friends of Coffman High School and the Dublin Community.”

Tiberi is the daughter of Dom Tiberi, a sports broadcast journalist with WBNS-10TV.

Director of News at 10TV Elbert Tucker said, “Our thoughts and prayers are with the Tiberi family,” in a Wednesday email.

10TV established an “In Memoriam” page on their website for commenters to leave notes of condolences for the Tiberi family. The page had more than 500 comments by 10 a.m. Thursday.

Dom Tiberi covers OSU athletics for the TV station.

OSU athletic director Gene Smith tweeted from his account @OSU_AD, “My heart goes out to Dom Tiberi and his family. Dom please feel this love I am sharing,” Wednesday at about 7 a.m.

According to 10TV, a public showing will be held Sunday at St. Brigid of Kildare Catholic Church at 7179 Avery Road and a funeral Mass will be held Monday.

Tags: , ,

1. KainTuckBuck says:

Very sad. I hope the handheld in the photo wasn’t part of the cause of the accident.

2. Linda Young says:

Extremely sad, my heart and prayers goes out to this young lady’s family.

3. nichole says:

Sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Accidents happen.

4. Jonathan says:

My brother was her girlfriend, he was extremely sad when he heard about the death, and cried the entire morning up from 2:00 Am.

5. Jonathan says:

I said that wrong, she was my brother’s girlfriend!…

6. Greetings! Quick question that’s totally
    off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?
    My website looks weird when viewing from my iphone4. I’m trying to
    find a theme or plugin that might be able to correct this issue.
    If you have any recommendations, please share. Many
    thanks!

7. Hello colleagues, pleasant post and good urging commented here,
    I am genuinely enjoying by these.