Home » Opinion » Letters to Editor » Letter to the editor: Language immersion a worthy study abroad experience

Letter to the editor: Language immersion a worthy study abroad experience

Brian Yeh, a fourth-year in economics, poses while visiting the Great Wall of China during his study abroad trip last academic year.

Letter to the editor:

Although famous for his signature bow tie and occasional practice of dropping in on student keggers, what former Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee is less known for (but for which he deserves no less recognition) is his expressed desire that all incoming OSU students possess a passport. While this was never made an admissions requirement, OSU in recent years has made substantial progress in showing it recognizes the value of the passport as the “driver’s license of the 21st century.”

From Global Gateways in China, India and Brazil, to month-long Maymester programs in places as far-flung as Uganda and Hungary, many students have been able to experience new people, languages and cultures — often for the very first time. Having had the opportunity to travel extensively as a child, in making my own decision to study abroad, I sought a culturally immersive program that would push me to my cultural and linguistic boundaries.

With this criterion in mind, I decided to venture off the proverbial “beaten path” and study at the Middlebury Schools Abroad program in Beijing for the 2012-13 academic year. Although I knew full well the bureaucratic hoops I would have to jump through to study with an externally-sponsored program, I had long heard Middlebury programs are renowned for their academic rigor and system of cultural immersion.

My year in China did not disappoint. Although as a heritage learner I was afraid I would be singled out by my teachers, I discovered a corps of friendly, talented and passionate educators dedicated to helping my fellow students and I succeed in our language studies. Moreover, the Language Pledge that kept my fellow students and I (almost) constantly speaking Chinese helped me become much more comfortable speaking the language. The Language Pledge was complemented by content courses on topics ranging from the history and culture of Beijing to the Chinese Constitution — all in Chinese. My favorite, however, was my one-on-one tutorial on Chinese foreign policy, for which I met individually with my Chinese teacher for three hours per week to discuss a text written specifically for me. Beyond academics, I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to live and converse with my Chinese roommate, as well as group excursions to Nanjing and Luoyang.

My year in China did more to broaden my cultural and linguistic horizons than years of classes in the U.S. did. OSU should continue its efforts to make studying abroad more accessible to students of all academic disciplines — in particular through programs such as Global May. However, more must be done to encourage students to study languages at an intensive level for longer periods of time, particularly with internationally-recognized programs such as Middlebury. Of the 11 study abroad programs in China listed on the Office of International Affairs website, for example, only one uses Chinese as the primary language of instruction. Ultimately, not all study abroad programs are created equal, and OSU students should have increased access to university-sponsored programs both linguistically and culturally immersive. A complementary action would be to streamline the process of applying to externally-sponsored study abroad programs and for receiving academic credit abroad.

Brian Yeh
Fourth-year in economics
yeh.130@osu.edu

One comment

1. If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats' great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and 9th Circuit 11-56043.
    Typically operating through puppets–including puppets in the judiciary–the right wing has for decades been committing crimes and trying to classify them to cover them up, a move explicitly forbidden by the Code of Federal Regulations. With either the approval or the willful ignorance of the right wing judiciary (in particular) the right has killed & stolen several of my pets and routinely shoot energy weaponry at me and my pets, despite my calls to the police, the FBI, Congress, and despite my petitions in court. There is really only one solution, and that's to disempower them politically, and to press charges. They are beyond sick, and belong in prison.