Mayor Michael Coleman urges Ohio State student support for Columbus city schools

October 2, 2013

Bendtsen.1@osu.edu
campus_coleman

Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman and USG President Taylor Stepp speak at a USG General Assembly meeting Oct. 1 at Ohio Union about the Columbus Education Plan.
Credit: Ritika Shah / Asst. photo editor

Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman addressed the Undergraduate Student Government Tuesday night in an effort to gain support for two city school funding measures up for approval on the general ballot in November.

Coleman said the proposals are a “revolution” of the city schools and urged OSU students to get involved, stressing that college is an important precursor for civic life.

Coleman said Columbus is in a period of “renaissance” and that “if you can’t make it in Columbus, you can’t make it.”

As the largest city in Ohio, Coleman called Columbus “the city of opportunity.”

In spite of the otherwise growth and successes Columbus has seen, Coleman said its schools are failing, and the entire community is to blame.

“We got to this point because all of us failed our kids. From the school board, to parents, to community leadership, to business leadership and even the mayor — all of us failed our kids,” he said.

Coleman said the improvement of schools is the primary step Columbus needed to continue an “environment of progress.”

“A city that stays the same, falls behind,” he said.

Coleman said the data scandal that unfolded in Columbus City Schools provided an impetus for change. That scandal broke in 2012 when The Columbus Dispatch uncovered that administrators had progressively manipulated student data more and more over the course of several years in order to improve the district’s grades during the Ohio Department of Education’s annual assessment.

“I don’t run the school district, but I thought we were doing pretty good, because that’s all I heard,” Coleman said. “But the data scandal caused me and others to intervene into the district and find out what’s really going on — and it opened my eyes.”

Accurate assessments taken after data manipulation ended show that more than 50 percent of the city’s schools now receive an failing grade by the state, Coleman said. According to the Board of Education, any failing grade is an “academic emergency.”

Many of those schools are also in low-income and minority areas, Coleman said.

Coleman said he put together a commission of a variety of people to tackle the issue. He said the comission started the endeavor all disagreeing about possible solutions, but were able to work together to create the Columbus Education Plan.

Tommy Zaino, a first-year in business economics, said he liked the approach Coleman has taken to address this problem.

“He had a lot of bipartisan initiatives and took inputs from all across the political spectrum when coming up with this plan, and I think it will be interesting to see how it works out for the city of Columbus,” he said.

The fallout of the data scandal is the reason part of the Columbus Education Plan entails Issue 51, which would create a independent auditor position for the Columbus City Schools. Coleman said an independent auditor would provide a much needed check on the power of the Columbus school board, which Coleman said has more autonomy than a government entity should have.

The other part of the Columbus Education Plan is Issue 50, which aims to issue bonds for school construction efforts and to improve technology.

Issue 50 would also includes a property tax levy for teacher training, paying for childhood education and to pay the independent auditor.

Callie Nauman, a third-year in environmental science, called the mayor’s address “inspiring.”

“College students really aren’t involved in the community as they should be, and I think the levy would be good for Columbus,” she said.

USG President Taylor Stepp told The Lantern after the address he expects Coleman’s presence will encourage students to get more involved in the campaign.

“We’ve got it star-powered with his endorsement. He’s a very important man with plenty of obligations, but he chose to spend an hour of his time with undergraduate students at the Ohio State University. It’s huge. I think to have the mayor come here to talk, it’s pretty clear in showing the importance that Ohio State plays in this campaign,” Stepp said.

USG voted to endorse Issues 50 and 51 last Wednesday at their General Assembly meeting. In response to the resolution, Stepp is chairing a new committee, Buckeyes for New Columbus Schools, which consists of representatives from College Democrats, College Republicans, College Mentors for Kids, the Pan-Hellenic Association and two other USG representatives.

That coalition is tasked with engaging fellow students about the Columbus City Schools levy campaign to spur votes.

USG issued voter registration forms at the Tuesday event in an attempt to engage students. Stepp said he is encouraged by the wide array of student representatives his committee has assembled, and expects it will be able to reach a lot of OSU students.

1. Dee Hoffman says:

Ohio State students need to investigate these issues. The Mayor knows his committee will have a hard time passing this for several reasons. The top for me is that it will increase my property tax by 24%. For my home value that is another $800 and year. This city government has had 45 years to find a way to better the lives of the poor in Columbus. Coleman has been our mayor since 1/1/2000. He has spent his 13 year reign developing our “downtown playground” and other projects that predominately cater to our wealthier citizens and visitors. Now he and his 25 member commission want to tidy up our schools by using public taxpayer funds to support the efforts and ideas of this unelected group. As students it should be your job to dig deep into this and follow the money. My feeling…..our hard earned money will be channeled into the pockets of some of these 25 people and into the building of charter schools. Neither will actually improve the test scores of our children, nor make one change to make their lives better.
    These parts of town need jobs, safety, security, and proof that their children will have a future worth studying for!
    If you are eligible to vote for this, VOTE NO ON 50 AND 51

2. Lynda says:

I agree. VOTE THIS DOWN. They can’t budget their money as it is, this just gives them more to waste. VOTE NO ON THESE ISSUES. I/WE can’t afford to line THEIR pockets.

3. Lynda says:

And also remember, even if you don’t own your home, but rent either a home or an apartment, this will effect you too. The landlords will raise your rent in order to pay the property tax on their apartments/homes. Do not doubt that. It WILL happen.

4. Maria says:

Is this an issue that involves OSU students? Why is usg involved in this even?????

5. May1 says:

They could not and are not handling the money that taxpayers have trusted them with, AND NOW they are saying…….GIVE US MORE MONEY….THROW MORE MONEY OUR WAY?????? and we will fix the problems. The people that got us in this mess are smiling pretty, and/or are still running the show. VOTE NO on both.

6. May1 says:

STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP wasting taxpayers’ money

7. Jay says:

Stop wasting student dollars on this issue that doesn’t even affect students at OSU. Stop using this as a platform to further your career.

8. Bobbie Scott says:

I got grandkids that go to Columbus Public School and we our not voting for this Levi.They have raised my homeowner taxes enough.

9. s says:

he’s the on who denies his interaction with it./..to this point…..under his watch were in this spot..the casinos were to fix this problem