Home » Campus » ‘Obamacare’ goes live

‘Obamacare’ goes live

campus_obama

President Barack Obama speaks at OSU Spring Commencement May 2013.
Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Despite a government shutdown, President Barack Obama’s health care regulation went into effect Tuesday with the opening of HealthCare.gov.

HealthCare.gov is an online health care exchange that allows Americans to apply for federal coverage and, if accepted, compare different policies for the best benefits and costs for their needs.

Coverage can begin as early as Jan. 1, 2014, according to HealthCare.gov. The open window for enrollment ends March 31, 2014.

Also beginning in January, Americans without insurance will have to pay either a tax penalty of $95 annually per adult and $47.50 per child up to $285 or 1 percent of family income, whichever is higher, per month, according to the U.S. News and World Report. The fine increases to $325 per adult and $162.50 per child or 2 percent of family income in 2015 and $695 per adult and $347.50 per child or 2.5 percent of family income in 2016.

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, often referred to as “Obamacare,” was signed into law March 23, 2010. Some changes it enacted included preventing insurance companies from turning people away because of preexisting medical conditions and extending care to children of policy owners until age 26.

The government shut down Tuesday because of Congress’ inability to come to an agreement about the nation’s budget, specifically the funding of Obamacare. National parks, monuments, zoos and other federally funded entities were closed, and many federal employees, including 97 percent of NASA, were furloughed, meaning given a temporary unpaid leave, according to The Washington Post.

Democratic Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown supports Obamacare and a “strong public option” for health care.

“Wholesale this law makes sense,” Brown said in an interview with Cleveland Jewish News Oct. 21. “I’m very supportive. I think it makes a difference in a lot of people’s lives.”

Sam Zuidema, an OSU third-year in American history and American politics and chairman of the OSU College Republicans, said he disagrees with large-scale government regulation of health care and believe Obamacare is “massive” and “unwarranted.”

“Of course the government should have some role in healthcare, but it should have a limited and constitutional role and one that encourages fair practices and increased competition,” Zuidema said.

OSU students will continue to have the option of buying health insurance through the university, said Gary Lewis, a university spokesman, in an email.

“As our country’s approach to health care evolves, we will continue to offer a student health insurance option that features excellent benefits, low out-of-pocket cost sharing and a comparatively low premium,” Lewis said. “We are also committed to encouraging our students to research their options so they can make the decisions that best fit their personal needs.”

1. It is a dark day for America. Obamacare has already forced millions out of work, and driven up costs to an unaffordable level more than double previous costs. Today’s college students and recent graduates will be saddled with expensive Insurance forced on them by law, on top of school loans and slim job prospects. It is no surprise that some 62 to 78% of Americans (depending on the poll) want the repealed. Even unions now reject it.

2. Oh yea, dark day indeed. Over 2.8 MILLION people visited the government website yesterday, the first day it went live. So many people visited the site that it kept crashing repeatedly. Yea, nobody cares. Nobody is interested in affordable health care. Its shameful that a few elite rich people with politicians in their back pocket want to deny health care to the very people who can least afford it. Shame on the Republican party.

Five polls, CBS/NY Times, Pew Research Center, CNBC/Hart-McInturff, Kaiser Family Foundation, HuffPost/You Gov show people OPPOSE cutting off funding to Obamacare.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/30/obamacare-polls_n_4018888.html
    “The five surveys show that the percentage of Americans who want to defund Obamacare — ranging from 37 to 39 percent — falls well short of a majority, while far more Americans — between 42 and 56 percent — oppose eliminating its funding.”

3. Why do I feel like this ObamaCare is getting the same stigma that the 2012 Mayan apocalypse was getting?

Did anyone ever stop and think that maybe this could change things for the better?

4. Obamacare is junk legislation, unconstitutional in its scope, backed by a corrupt Supreme Court who continues to make decisions to strip states and their citizens of their rights. It needs to be rescinded, like so many of it’s siblings: the Patriot Act (and all its children), FEMA, Federal Anti-Drug and Gun laws, all laws overstepping the Constitution’s limits on Federal interference in Intrastate Commerce, and anything in violation of the 9th and 10th amendments, which, contrary to bad Supreme Court Decisions, were NOT “truisms”, but hard laws intentionally meant to keep the Federal Government from grabbing power and restricting the rights of private citizens…

5. As college students will soon discover, their choices on healthcare are gone, the cost of heakth insurance wil triple within two years, quality will decrease and they will be stuck with mandatory health insurance costs that in many cases will exceed their school loans, car payments and rent.

Obamacare is the single most destructive law passed in 60 years and young people, who traditionally have the lowest insurance priums, are now expected to pay for everyone else.

One young man I heard of today just received a notice that his monthly premium is going from $244 per month to $829. I guess if he voted for him he can’t complain. He got what he voted for.

6. Jerry, it’s already making it worse, not better. I would encourage you to read about it. There is no upside.