Big Boi, left, and Andre of OutKast pose at the 46th Annual Grammy Awards Feb. 8, 2004. Rumors have been going around that the group might reunite in 2014 for the Coachella Festival.  Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Big Boi, left, and Andre of OutKast pose at the 46th Annual Grammy Awards Feb. 8, 2004. Rumors have been going around that the group might reunite in 2014 for the Coachella Festival.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

This is part of a weekly series called “Pop Opinions” where The Lantern offers its take on the week’s pop culture news.

“Dumb and Dumber To” announces release date for Nov. 14, 2014

The ‘90s were a great decade for comedic movies. We had Chris Farley, Adam Sandler and the godfather of ‘90s comedy: Jim Carrey. And one of Carrey’s best characters will be reprised now that a release date of Nov. 14, 2014 has been announced for “Dumb and Dumber To.” Carrey is set to return as Lloyd Christmas, the former limo-driver, worm-farm enthusiast and likely the dumber half of 1994’s “Dumb and Dumber.”

It will be interesting to see how this movie develops over the next year. An almost 20-year gap leaves a lot of options for the direction of the film. Who knows what has happened to Lloyd and Harry after they passed up the offer to be Hawaiian Tropic’s grease-up boys and aimlessly walked off into the horizon? Like next month’s “Anchorman 2,” we can only hope these sequels live up to the greatness of their originals.

Outkast reunion tour rumors for 2014

One of the more popular groups of the 2000s, Outkast, has been rumored to reunite for a tour in 2014 and is getting back together to headline 2014’s Coachella festival. The group has been on hiatus since 2007.

Outkast appealed to a wide-range audience in its prime and gave us such hip-hop pop hits as “Hey Ya” and “Ms. Jackson.” Perhaps this means a new album could be forthcoming? I think the group would still get the attention from today’s audiences they had back when they were dominating the radio. An Outkast comeback would be an exciting development in the music world.

Nick Eversman cast as Mick Jagger in upcoming James Brown biopic

The swingin’ ‘60s is the focus of the upcoming James Brown biopic “Get On Up.” The film is co-produced by The Rolling Stones’ front man Mick Jagger, whose young self is also a character in the movie. The role of Jagger has gone to Nick Eversman, a star of the CW’s “Tomorrow People.”

Apparently, Eversman was cast after an audition and sending in a photo of himself to push his “look-alike” angle. The only thing is: They don’t look alike. Eversman is a pretty, bright blue-eyed, chiseled heartthrob. Jagger, on the other hand, was a rugged, skinny, dull green-eyed, punky kid who looked like he rolled out of the grittiest part of London-town. It was his incredible stage presence as a lead singer that gave him his sex appeal, not natural good looks (Well, maybe the lips, which Eversman also does not have). To pull off Eversman as Jagger, the crew better do a good job ugly-ing up the young star. Or he better have one hell of a stage presence. No one wants to see a pretty-boy Jagger.

You might as well just have Paul McCartney.