Home » Campus » Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘When you’re an innovation nation, tomorrow is yours’

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘When you’re an innovation nation, tomorrow is yours’

Astrophysicist Neil Degrasse Tyson begins his lecture, "Latest Discoveries in the Universe" in the Archie M. Griffin Ballroom in The Ohio Union Nov. 21. Credit: Matthew Homan / Lantern photographer

Astrophysicist Neil Degrasse Tyson begins his lecture, “Latest Discoveries in the Universe” in the Archie M. Griffin Ballroom in The Ohio Union Nov. 21. Credit: Matthew Homan / Lantern photographer

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson was bombarded with questions about the sun, the stars and the chunks of rock that could one day catapult toward the Earth.

Tyson spoke candidly at the Ohio Union Thursday night for nearly two hours to a crowd of approximately 1,500 people about the intricacies of the universe and recently released findings in the astronomy field.

Since 1996, Tyson has been the director of the Hayden Planetarium at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City, where he helped others in his field demote Pluto from a planet to a dwarf planet in 2006, Tyson said.

“I was an accessory to the demotion of Pluto, I didn’t pull the trigger or anything, but I so drove the getaway car,” Tyson said to a chuckling crowd.

Tyson is passionate about preserving the group of study fields collectively known as STEM — science, technology, engineering and mathematics — that are often emphasized in education policy.

“As you innovate, those innovations make headlines, and those headlines stimulate our nation, stimulate America to become an innovation nation,” Tyson said. “When you’re an innovation nation, tomorrow is yours. You’ve guaranteed your economic security; you’re guaranteed your physical security. I see it as a fundamental force operating on the pipeline that will enable us to transform this country, to lead the world instead of following,”

The Thursday event was presented by the Ohio Union Activities Board.

“Neil deGrasse Tyson was chosen to speak because of his large appeal by college students, and his thought-provoking and entertaining lecture style. OUAB also knew we would reach a new demographic of students by bringing in a world-renown astrophysicist,” said Will Moore, a lecture chair of OUAB, in an email Friday.

In 1997, Tyson founded the department of astrophysics at the American Museum of Natural History, according to his website.

Tyson also talked about an asteroid named in his honor, something he initially approached with caution because of the potential consequences that came with it.

“I was very honored by that, but before I accepted the honor, I double-checked to make sure that asteroid wasn’t headed toward Earth,” Tyson said. “You don’t want to be that asteroid, asteroid Tyson bearing down on Earth.”

Tyson will soon be on TV — Carl Sagan’s “Cosmos: A Personal Voyage” TV series from the 1980s will be reborn and evolve in the spring of 2014 with “Cosmos: a Spacetime Odyssey” on Fox Network featuring Tyson as the host, he said.

“We want to expose it to everybody who doesn’t normally think about science,” Tyson said.

Tyson also said he’s looking forward to the future of space exploration, especially Dutch entrepreneur Bas Lansdorp’s plan to colonize Mars by 2023 called Mars One.

“He wants to create a permanent human colony, first with four people, but then will send more people. This is a colony like Mayflower style. You’re going with no plans of coming back, and he said, ‘Who’s with me,’ and the line was around the block,” Tyson said.

The NASA space program also came up in Tyson’s presentation when he talked about watching rockets launching into space in Cape Canaveral, Fla.

One of Tyson’s favorite parts of the rocket launches, he said, is watching the marshes trickling from the sound wave of the rockets’ launch from afar.

“You can actually watch the ripple of the sound wave, the leading edge of the sound wave, approach you as you’re watching it, it tickles the water on the way,” Tyson said.

OUAB could not disclose the cost of event to “ensure we remain competitive with talent agencies,” Moore said.

One comment

1. If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats' great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and, when it's completed, 9th Circuit 11-56043.
    Typically operating through puppets–including puppets in the judiciary–the right wing has for decades been committing crimes and trying to classify them to cover them up, a move explicitly forbidden by the Code of Federal Regulations. With either the approval or the willful ignorance of the judiciary the right has e killed & stolen several of my pets and routinely shoot energy weaponry at me and my pets, despite my calls to the police, the FBI, Congress, and despite my petitions in court. They've been placing dead cats in my path at a rate of one every few weeks or one a month, and shot out the eye of another stray a day after I advised a few strangers it had a particularly nice disposition. They are beyond sick, and belong in prison.