Ohio State: Access to Mirror Lake jump will require wristband

November 24, 2013

young.1693@osu.edu
OSU students jump into Mirror Lake Nov. 20 as part of a ‘Beat Michigan’ week tradition. This year’s jump is scheduled to take place Nov. 26. Credit: Daniel Chi / For The Lantern

OSU students jump into Mirror Lake Nov. 20 as part of a ‘Beat Michigan’ week tradition. This year’s jump is scheduled to take place Nov. 26.
Credit: Daniel Chi / For The Lantern

Ohio State students should be ready to wear a wristband Tuesday if they even want to watch the Mirror Lake jump.

OSU officials are moving forward with increased safety and security efforts on Mirror Lake jump night after the death of a former OSU student earlier this semester prompted a conversation about how to handle the annual event.

Tushar Shriram Kabre, age 28, died Sept. 19 at the Wexner Medical Center after being pulled from Mirror Lake Aug. 18 and placed in the Intensive Care Unit in critical condition. His cause of death was near drowning, but his manner of death is undetermined, Franklin County Coroner Jan Gorniak said.

OSU Administration and Planning spokeswoman Lindsay Komlanc said in an August email that Kabre “received a masters of science in chemistry degree in Autumn 2011” but he was not currently enrolled at the university.

Jumping in Mirror Lake before the OSU football game against the University of Michigan is a university tradition, but it is not a university-sanctioned event. The Mirror Lake jump is scheduled for Tuesday this year.

The weather forecast predicts a high of 36 degrees and a low of 26, with a 30 percent chance of snow.

OSU Student Life Vice President Javaune Adams-Gaston’s weekly message from Student Life Sunday made clear the university is going to increase its security efforts.

“Access will be granted to those with Beat Michigan wristbands … beginning at 6:30 p.m. through one designated entry point and there will be several exit points,” the message read.  “Wristbands are needed even for those who are only watching. Students who are incapacitated and unable to care for themselves may not be granted entry.”

The wristbands will be given out at the Ohio Union from Sunday at 11 a.m. until Tuesday and students must have a BuckID to receive one.

The wristbands also give students access to free food at the Beat Michigan festival Tuesday on the South Oval, which will have activities including a zip line and an interactive graffiti mural.

The message said that while free food will be available to the first 4,000 attendees, for “access to food (students) must pick up a Beat Michigan wrist band.”

Adams-Gaston’s message also included a note encouraging students not to jump.

“We are aware that some of you may be planning to jump into Mirror Lake (Tuesday). We do not encourage you to jump, especially due to the extreme cold temperatures that are expected. However, the wellbeing of Ohio State students is our top priority and we will take efforts to make sure this activity is managed in a way that maintains appropriate levels of safety and security,” the message read.

Adams-Gaston listed tips for students considering the jump, including suggesting that students do not drink, they stay within the designated jump area and they stay with a buddy.

OSU Undergraduate Student Government President Taylor Stepp tweeted about the plan from his account @TaylorStepp after the message was released.

“It is terrible that we have ‘procedure’ for Mirror Lake Night, but here it is,” the tweet read, along with a link to the Student Life message and a request for students to pass the message along.

Other OSU students took to social media Sunday as well to voice their displeasure with the plan.

OSU Student Life spokesman Dave Isaacs had said Tuesday the university’s treatment of this year’s jump was not yet nailed down.

“Any time such a tragic incident occurs, it will prompt renewed consideration of how we can best ensure safety and security. University leaders have been in conversation about how we can best ensure any activities, informal or organized, around Mirror Lake are as safe as possible,” Isaacs said.

Despite the lack of university endorsement, there is typically an increased police presence in the area and lights are set up to illuminate the lake. Last year, University Police, Columbus Division of Police, the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office, the Ohio State Highway Patrol, Columbus Division of Fire, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and MedCorp Mobile Medical Services were present at the Nov. 20 jump.

University Police Chief Paul Denton said Tuesday, though, the OSU Department of Public Safety’s efforts will likely be the same.

“In terms of our security efforts, we’ve always maintained a good security effort for (the Mirror Lake jump). There’s nothing we would do anything different for (that) event in terms of police presence,” Denton said.

He added that public safety coverage will be “pretty typical.”

“If it occurs, we’ll be prepared certainly … We don’t really encourage people to participate,” he said. “We work it every year and move forward.”

1. anon says:

Well, it’s now a university sanctioned event. Are they liable if something happens now?

2. anon2 says:

If it’s something to do with their alchoholic blood content then I imagine it might be considering that they were able to gain access to the wristband and we’re deemed ‘able.’ If it is an accident that occurs in the lake then all they’d be liable for would be getting them to an ambulance as quickly as possible.

3. BuckeyeGranny says:

This is bull****

4. jboo says:

As an OSU student on a campus of 60,000+students how are the wristbands benneficial? Are there only going to be 4000 given out for the food and pep rally or is that including the jump? I know people that love to join in the tradition and aren’t students or alum…they cant get wristbands….and i think the bands are a liability to the university because now they are getting involved.

5. Jerry Curled says:

Cue the spoiled brats whining in 3…2…1…

6. Peeved OSU Alum says:

Sooooo when will the alumni Mirror Lake jump be since many alums come back for this tradition? Maybe the rest of campus should rebel and jump on Monday night.

7. Anonymous says:

How can it not be sanctioned by OSU but then they make you get a wristband to jump… this is not going to work, unless they have riot police I don’t think a few horse cops are going to stop 500000 people. Its public property they can’t not let you stand there and watch, this is ridiculous, I can’t wait to watch it utterly fail.

8. Anonymous says:

Another osu tradition ruined by all the politics of the pricks who probably don’t even belong in the osu alumni. So sad to see this tradition go to waste, especially during perfect seasons. O-H

9. Jerry Curled says:

10,000 people at most judging by previous years. You are more disillusioned then I thought if you think 50,000 people are going to show up!

…I-O!

10. Nick A says:

Do you have to have a current buckid to get a wrist band? I am an alumni and I always come back for the mirror lake jump.

11. cityhunter says:

just provide hot chocolate, then students will be fine.

12. So now they are purposefully excluding fans that are not students? WOW! They are ruining the greatest tradition during the "Beat Michigan" week. That's the second dumbest thing I've ever heard next to Obama for President.

13. So now they are purposefully excluding fans that are not students? WOW! They are ruining the greatest tradition during the "Beat Michigan" week. That's the second dumbest thing I've ever heard next to Obama for President.

14. So now they are purposefully excluding fans that are not students? WOW! They are ruining the greatest tradition during the "Beat Michigan" week. That's the second dumbest thing I've ever heard next to Obama for President.

15. So now they are purposefully excluding fans that are not students? WOW! They are ruining the greatest tradition during the "Beat Michigan" week. That's the second dumbest thing I've ever heard next to Obama for President.

16. So now they are purposefully excluding fans that are not students? WOW! They are ruining the greatest tradition during the "Beat Michigan" week. That's the second dumbest thing I've ever heard next to Obama for President.

17. So now they are purposefully excluding fans that are not students? WOW! They are ruining the greatest tradition during the "Beat Michigan" week. That's the second dumbest thing I've ever heard next to Obama for President.

18. So now they are purposefully excluding fans that are not students? WOW! They are ruining the greatest tradition during the "Beat Michigan" week. That's the second dumbest thing I've ever heard next to Obama for President.

19. anon says:

Gordon Gee continues to get what he wants. Remember last year and the midnight curfew? This is just another terrible idea, like CampusParc or tearing down St. John Arena. Before Gee, there was little university presence, but plenty of police. It was relatively safe, and people jumped until sunrise. This is going to end poorly.

I say students should either jump Monday, or jump in the Olentangy instead!

20. Jeff says:

This is crap. Over sensitive. My god. Politics bs

21. Brandon Daniel says:

Thanks Obama!

22. Jerry Curled says:

Plot twist:
    This is a sham being carried out by The Lantern to get more page views.

23. Josh says:

I have to admit that I feel excited about the potential chaos… full of drama

24. steve says:

I agree with most of you. If the university makes people get wristbands it then becomes a university sanctioned event. I jumped in mirror lake in 2008 and 2009. The university says they ddon’t want any involvement but the make sure to light up the lake rope off the dangerous parts and have ambulance and medical staff standing by. These restrictions are garbage and aren’t going to last long.

25. Katy says:

The university just turned a non university-sanctioned into a university sanctioned event. Which is just going to end in mass chaos and make them more liable…

26. Keith Cooper says:

Successfully ruined a great tradition!

27. Grow up says:

This makes perfect sense. Now there thankfully won’t be any of the creepy 40 and 50+ year old men, that I see hanging around there every year, with their video cameras taping coeds jumping into mirror lake. Weirdos.

This is a tradition for STUDENTS. If you’re not an OSU student you have no business being there. End of story. If you’re alumni, you’ve had a 4+ year window to join in this STUDENT tradition and jump into mirror lake, grow up and move on already.

28. the dumbest solution to one of the schools oldest traditions

29. Carolynn says:

This literally makes no sense. The person who died in the lake was not participating in a Mirror Lake jump night so how is that accident a factor in this tradition? And now you are excluding ALUMNI from participating???

30. Carolynn says:

To the anon blaming President Gee. He is no longer the President at OSU…

31. Eric Hanneken says:

My question is what problem exists that they are trying to solve? If it ain't broke don't fix it

32. Alli Sayre says:

Why do you want to participate in a college tradition when you are a not a student of OSU? I hate to break it to you, but we don't want non-students there. They are the people that almost always give us a bad name.

33. URSTUPID says:

“You aren’t a student, you can’t jump in a public lake” “If you are an alum, you are old and stupid.” “Obama is stupid.” You guys sound like morons.

34. Bill Thornhill says:

Did you ever wonder what the odor is at Mirror Lake. Could it be hydrogen-sulfate which is not healthy to breathe or soak in.

35. Ohio Police State says:

Hopefully the OSU police will bring their new tank to enforce this awesome new policy.

36. Glen Broemer says:

If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats' great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and, when it's completed, 9th Circuit 11-56043.
    Typically operating through puppets–including puppets in the judiciary–the right wing has for decades been committing crimes and trying to classify them to cover them up, a move explicitly forbidden by the Code of Federal Regulations. With either the approval or the willful ignorance of the judiciary the right has e killed & stolen several of my pets and routinely shoot energy weaponry at me and my pets, despite my calls to the police, the FBI, Congress, and despite my petitions in court. There is really only one solution, and that's to disempower them politically. They are beyond sick, and belong in prison.