Fans stand around Mirror Lake while some jump in despite university efforts to control the event.  Credit: Ryan Robey / For The Lantern

Fans stand around Mirror Lake while some jump in Nov. 25 despite university efforts to control the event.
Credit: Ryan Robey / For The Lantern

The Mirror Lake jump is still set to be held and regulated by the university Tuesday night after some Ohio State fans jumped in the lake Monday, according to a Student Life spokesman.

“(There will be) no difference to the announced plan,” spokesman Dave Isaacs said in an email Tuesday afternoon. “It will go ahead as outlined.”

OSU fans knocked down fences and jumped in Mirror Lake at about 11:45 p.m. Monday after new university regulations regarding the jump were announced Sunday. OSU officials said the area would be fenced off with one entrance and multiple exits, and students will be required to wear wristbands for admittance, which they can receive at the Ohio Union by showing a valid BuckID.

Jumping in Mirror Lake the week before the OSU football game against Michigan is a university tradition, though it is not officially university-sanctioned.

University Police Chief Paul Denton said in an email Tuesday there were no arrests made. Though he said there were a few minor injuries that occurred, details of those injuries were still not available as of 2 p.m.

A Wexner Medical Center media relations representative was unaware of any injuries at Mirror Lake Monday as of Tuesday at 12:40 p.m.

A University Police officer said Monday at its peak, there were an estimated 1,500 people at the lake Monday night. Police forces present included Franklin County Sheriff’s Office and University Police.

Police did not stop people trying to jump in the lake at 11:45 p.m. Monday.

Isaacs said OSU was aware students were planning to jump and prioritized safety over restrictions.

“We were aware that some students were planning to jump into Mirror Lake last night, and we were prepared with safety personnel for response and support,” he said. “The well-being of Ohio State students is our primary priority, and we will continue to make efforts to maintain appropriate levels of safety and security at any activity, whether formal or informal.”

OSU Vice President for Student Life Javaune Adams-Gaston said Sunday she was unconcerned with students’ negative reactions to the announced university restrictions.

“I have great faith in our students, I know that change is difficult and people have the right to have views about that change, but I also know that our student population is one that is spirited and not disruptive,” Adams-Gaston told The Lantern.

Denton told The Lantern Sunday the messages about knocking down fences or jumping early didn’t “give (police) much concern.”

“We’ve got great partnership and trust in the students as well from a public safety standpoint,” Denton said.  “I don’t think that will happen (students tearing down fences) and I sincerely believe our students will come and have a good time as they always have … but there will be a police and security presence continuing over the next few days.

“We’re ready, as we always are (if students jump early).”