The Infamous Stringdusters are slated to perform at the Newport Music Hall Dec. 4. Credit: Courtesy of The Infamous Stringdusters

The Infamous Stringdusters is slated to perform at the Newport Music Hall Dec. 4.
Credit: Courtesy of The Infamous Stringdusters

When a bluegrass band with a soft spot for Colorado visits Columbus, its members are playing for more than just the audience.
Bluegrass, high-country band The Infamous Stringdusters is set to perform Wednesday at the Newport Music Hall as part of its Road to Boulder tour.

A portion of profits from the Road to Boulder tour are set to go toward Oskar Blues Can’d Aid Foundation, which is supporting victims of the flooding that occurred in Lyons and Longmont Colo., in September damaging nearly 2,000 homes, 200 miles of state highways and 50 bridges, according to The Denver Post.

One of the band’s members, Andy Hall, who plays the dobro, is from Colorado. His home was damaged during the flooding.

“Colorado is real dear to us as a band,” said Andy Falco, frontman and guitarist for The Infamous Stringdusters. “We have a lot of friends and family there.”

The Road to Boulder tour was already in progress when the flooding occurred. The band decided to turn the focus of the tour from advertising its new single to garnering support for victims.

“We realized we had a great opportunity to give back,” Falco said.

The Road to Boulder tour was originally formed in celebration of and with the intention of broadcasting the band’s latest single of the same name. The recording of the song features folk music veteran Bruce Hornsby on the accordion.

“Bruce is the man,” Falco said. “We were so thrilled he agreed to do the song with us.”

Members of the band all play stringed instruments — including the dobro, guitar, bass, fiddle and banjo.

Despite the group’s instrumental focus, its members count a wide variety of artists across genres among their influences.

“We have influences which range from U2 to the Grateful Dead,” Falco said. “As we’ve gotten more comfortable with our songwriting, we’ve gotten more comfortable letting our influences out.”

The band, which emerged in 2007, put out its latest album, “Silver Sky,” in March 2012. Falco said the band has grown a great amount over that time.

“Over the years, we’ve been learning and growing as musicians and songwriters. We just try to make the song the best that it is,” Falco said. “What happens is it tends to become more about the song. In the past, we would try to make sure everyone gets their own solo … now we focus on what the song is saying and the lyrics.”

Falco went on to say he feels the band is stronger as a unit because of these developments.

While some Ohio State students were unfamiliar with the band’s music, they said the band’s desire to assist those victimized by the floods was a draw for attending the show.

“When a band’s doing something not just for their own personal gain, it changes your opinion of them,” said Shaun Laubis, a fifth year in logistics management. “I think a lot of Buckeyes don’t mind getting behind a good cause.”

Falco said The Infamous Stringdusters want to create a positive environment for anyone who comes to the show.

“Looking out and seeing people smiling I think is my favorite part,” Falco said. “No matter what’s going on you can go to a show and create a cool environment.”

Doors for The Infamous Stringdusters are set to open at 7:30 p.m. Tickets for the show are available for $18.50 in advance through Ticketmaster and for $22 at the door. Denver-based folk band Paper Bird is set to open the night.