Chaz is a 10-month-old Australian cattle dog mix.

Chaz is a 10-month-old Australian cattle dog mix. Credit: Courtesy of Erica Mauder

Who needs a boyfriend to cuddle up with at night when you can just snuggle up right next to a puppy? Having a dog in college is awesome.

Yes, if you were wondering, I am the big spoon.

Making the leap to have a dog in college is a big step for anyone who decides to get one. Not to mention a big hole in your wallet, an increased need for responsibility, and yes, that means you might have to give up your thirsty Thursday, say goodbye to that nap time you used to love and probably some of your favorite underwear. But hear me out, I am not here to discuss the negatives; I am going to share why having a dog has been one of the most rewarding parts of my college career.

If you are worried about getting fat, sorry to be blunt, but get a dog. Some dogs, and by some I mean mine, have an excessive amount of energy that one walk just won’t satisfy. Morning jogs have become a daily thing, though not always by choice, but still it makes my dog happy and my quest for that beach bod less of a distant dream.

Jennifer Morten, a second-year in biology, said having a dog not only made her more physically active but more mentally active as well.

“Having a dog makes me remember things better because I have to remember things for (the) dog, like food and water,” Morten said. “You have to learn patience so you can train the dog, and you have to learn to think ahead, like putting stuff away so the dog can’t chew things up.”

Have you ever gotten rejected at the bar by your crush since freshman year, or by that guy you saw doing bicep curls at the gym who you attempted to make eye contact with but was checking out his reflection in the mirror more than you? Forget them. Your dog will never reject you.

A dog’s love is unconditional, and they will always be there for you. When you walk back from class to a dog, you never have to feel alone or unhappy because they are so gosh darn happy to see you and will greet you with kisses, which let’s be honest, are probably better than that guy you made out with last weekend who thought he was just so awesome.

“I love the fact that I can walk into my apartment and regardless of if I had a good day or bad day my dog will always be excited to see me,” said Alec Singerman, a third-year in agribusiness with a dog named Scarlet. “They give you that unconditional love that nothing else in the world, not even your mother, can give you.”

In my case, my dog even helped me through a breakup.

Through the nights of listening to Miley Cyrus’s “Wrecking Ball,” eating two quarts of Edy’s Cookies and Cream ice cream and crying so hard I thought I had jumped into Mirror Lake early, my dog never left my side. It’s something I can’t explain, but your dog knows when you are sad, feels your pain and just wants to see you smile.

By the way, my dog’s name is Chaz, and he is the best thing to ever happen to me.