Commentary: Having a dog in college ‘best thing to ever happen to me’

December 10, 2013

mauder.2@osu.edu
Chaz is a 10-month-old Australian cattle dog mix.

Chaz is a 10-month-old Australian cattle dog mix. Credit: Courtesy of Erica Mauder

Who needs a boyfriend to cuddle up with at night when you can just snuggle up right next to a puppy? Having a dog in college is awesome.

Yes, if you were wondering, I am the big spoon.

Making the leap to have a dog in college is a big step for anyone who decides to get one. Not to mention a big hole in your wallet, an increased need for responsibility, and yes, that means you might have to give up your thirsty Thursday, say goodbye to that nap time you used to love and probably some of your favorite underwear. But hear me out, I am not here to discuss the negatives; I am going to share why having a dog has been one of the most rewarding parts of my college career.

If you are worried about getting fat, sorry to be blunt, but get a dog. Some dogs, and by some I mean mine, have an excessive amount of energy that one walk just won’t satisfy. Morning jogs have become a daily thing, though not always by choice, but still it makes my dog happy and my quest for that beach bod less of a distant dream.

Jennifer Morten, a second-year in biology, said having a dog not only made her more physically active but more mentally active as well.

“Having a dog makes me remember things better because I have to remember things for (the) dog, like food and water,” Morten said. “You have to learn patience so you can train the dog, and you have to learn to think ahead, like putting stuff away so the dog can’t chew things up.”

Have you ever gotten rejected at the bar by your crush since freshman year, or by that guy you saw doing bicep curls at the gym who you attempted to make eye contact with but was checking out his reflection in the mirror more than you? Forget them. Your dog will never reject you.

A dog’s love is unconditional, and they will always be there for you. When you walk back from class to a dog, you never have to feel alone or unhappy because they are so gosh darn happy to see you and will greet you with kisses, which let’s be honest, are probably better than that guy you made out with last weekend who thought he was just so awesome.

“I love the fact that I can walk into my apartment and regardless of if I had a good day or bad day my dog will always be excited to see me,” said Alec Singerman, a third-year in agribusiness with a dog named Scarlet. “They give you that unconditional love that nothing else in the world, not even your mother, can give you.”

In my case, my dog even helped me through a breakup.

Through the nights of listening to Miley Cyrus’s “Wrecking Ball,” eating two quarts of Edy’s Cookies and Cream ice cream and crying so hard I thought I had jumped into Mirror Lake early, my dog never left my side. It’s something I can’t explain, but your dog knows when you are sad, feels your pain and just wants to see you smile.

By the way, my dog’s name is Chaz, and he is the best thing to ever happen to me.

1. Glen Broemer says:

If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats' great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and, when it's completed, 9th Circuit 11-56043.
    Typically operating through puppets–including puppets in the judiciary–the right wing has for decades been committing crimes and trying to classify them to cover them up, a move explicitly forbidden by the Code of Federal Regulations. With either the approval or the willful ignorance of the judiciary the right has e killed & stolen several of my pets and routinely shoot energy weaponry at me and my pets, despite my calls to the police, the FBI, Congress, and despite my petitions in court. There is really only one solution, and that's to disempower them politically. They are beyond sick, and belong in prison.

2. Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon
    every day. It’s always helpful to read content from other
    authors and practice a little something from their websites.

3. Fearr not, for their are professionals that still care about their client and offer
    assistance in bringing them through credit struggles to help them realize
    the American Dream of home ownership. It is always a clever choice too retain the services of the
    providers of a professional true estate broker in purchase to reduce
    losses on true estate jobs. If you’ve entsred into an AMPS transaction to purchase a
    home, how did it go.

4. plumber says:

Just in the manufacturing field there are 500,000
    obs that aren’t being filled because employers saay
    they can’t find qualified workers. graduates and
    the emerging workforce, the jobs aren’t the problem; the lack
    of basic skills of job applicants is. Having the name annd number of a reputable Vanouver plumber who provides
    a full range of services can give you peaxe of mind, jist in case there iss
    a minor disaster that requires his aide.

5. Make sure to hiore a pairing contractor who has been iin business
    for at least two to three ears andd can provide reference for the entire time hee has been in operation.
    Your second sentence conveys your relation to the individual and
    the length of that relationship. For oold homes or tough interior surfaces, make sure you uuse high
    quality paint, llike Benjamin Mooore or Kelly Moore.

6. You can pest control ants by first blocking all the possible entry point to
    your house. Shockingly, you can’t be sure which of the measure will be the best for
    your situation. Neglect them if you want to be exterminated and
    poisoned yourself.

7. The current potential solar energy per square foot
    is approximately 50 watts (that’s 450 watts per square meter).
    You very quickly realise that you don’t have thhe first idea how to
    fix thi kind of problem, and a sudden sinking feeling starts to
    take grip. Having said all of that I have to point out
    that when you will require to hire an electrician you should always ask to
    view proof of their certificates.

8. They are widely revered worldwide due to their ability to produce wildly diverse sounds, cheaper
    costs and ease of use. In fact, almost any combination of guitar characteristics
    is possible with these instruments. There arre some great guitar review websites
    available aand some super forums to become members of that will enable
    you to make use of other people knowledge.

9. Rufus & Dirtywerk played so we went and found out that Rufus is a dog! He literally was with the DJ (Dirtywerk)(who’s real name is Chris Renzulli) all night. It was awesome. Rufus even came out and danced a few times with us. I’m not kidding, he dances! and is the happiest dog on the planet.

The night was simply legendary, the music was unlike any I’ve heard, we all sweat are clothes rotten ,we danced so hard.

Thanks again!