Ohio State’s Marcus Hall, Dontre Wilson face no further discipline from Big Ten for involvement in on-field incident against Michigan

December 2, 2013

seger.25@buckeyemail.osu.edu
Dontre Wilson (1) and other Buckeye players fight with Michigan players during a game Nov. 30 at Michigan Stadium. OSU won, 42-41. Credit: Ritika Shah/ Asst. photo editor

The Big Ten Conference issued a public reprimand Monday for Ohio State redshirt-senior right guard Marcus Hall’s actions as he exited the field against Michigan Saturday.

Hall and freshman running back Dontre Wilson were ejected for their involvement in an on-field fight that occurred in the second quarter of OSU’s 42-41 win against the Wolverines. Upon entering the tunnel, Hall flipped off the Michigan Stadium crowd with both hands, which violated the Big Ten’s Sportsmanship Policy, the release said.

Neither Hall or Wilson will face any further punishment from the conference.

The OSU coaching staff was also reprimanded by the B1G “for failing in its duty to effectively manage the process of escorting an ejected student-athlete from the playing field to the locker room,” the release said.

In addition, the conference release stated that it reviewed the video of the fight, saying it was handled properly.

“The officials and coaching staffs from both institutions did a good job of containing the situation once it started,” the release said. “As bad as it was, we’re fortunate the incident did not escalate any further. More can, and should, be done by both coaching staffs in the future to prevent similar incidents from detracting from this rivalry.”

The Big Ten considers the matter closed.

1. Deb says:

Hall needs to get on his knees and THANK GOD because he cold have derailed his career with that move!! I think the reason for no further action is because if you look at the video a TON of other players should have been ejected which means the band/cheerleaders would have started!!!!! hahahaha GREAT game Buckeyes!!! Yes College GameDay is headed your way……..Niceeeeeeee (Geico lady voice)! hahaha

2. Vee says:

Too bad Marcus Hall only had 2 middle fingers… He rocks!!!

3. Matt Lang says:

if a player from MSU had behaved the way Hall did and wasn't suspended from next weeks Big Ten Championship game the OSU fans would be livid, but when Hall gets a pass somehow its OK? What self serving BS that is.

4. Rob Stenberg says:

Typical for Urban Meyer and OSU. They now have to deal with the consequences of Urban's recruits. It will get out of control, they'll get busted and he'll move on. But they'll win a lot of games and the alumni will think it's okay.
    As the fight song goes "cheer, cheer , Ohio State, it's a know nothing party school."

5. Rob Stenberg says:

The Big Ten wants OSU in the National Championship. That's the real story. It's all about the money. Shame on the Big Ten. I hope the Spartans kick their hairless nuts.

6. James A says:

I’m not condoning the Fight, but a Michigan player attempted to injure Dontre Wilson by almost ripping his head off. I would have also become angry if someone tried to injure my teammate. The wolverines are a team of scumbags who attempted to get under the skin of OSU because they could never win in a straight up game. Hall just came to the aid of a teammate. The best part is after everything, we not only won the game we now have a shot at a national Championship. Michigan go enjoy the Tampax bowl or whatever bowl feels sorry for you enough to give you an invite

7. He should be sitting out this coming game. How he acted was totally uncalled for and disrespectful! He should have accepted the punishment and moved on. No wonder people make the comments they do about Ohio State when such displays happen and then are "swept under the rug" – being thrown from the game on Saturday took care of what happened on the field. What took place afterwards, seems to be going unpunished. Guess it's a good thing I'm not the coach – he would be sitting the bench!

8. It is not setting a good example. We expect our athletes to represent our Ohio State University and the young people who want to be a part of that great institution. We want to be proud of our Buckeyes, and I was not proud of what I saw on national television last saturday!

9. Cheri Bregel says:

What about the fsu qb who is facing a rape charge? Should he be playing? Give up previous wins?