Ohio State uses late 14-3 run to beat Notre Dame, 64-61, stay unbeaten

December 21, 2013

seger.25@buckeyemail.osu.edu

Senior guard Lenzelle Smith Jr. (32) drives to the basket during a game against Delaware Dec. 18 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 76-64. Credit: Mark Batke / Lantern photographer

With just 58 seconds remaining, it looked as if the Ohio State Buckeyes were going to be knocked from the ranks of the unbeaten.

No. 3 OSU trailed Notre Dame, 58-50, but used a 14-3 run over the final minute of play to beat the Irish, 64-61, in the Gotham Classic at Madison Square Garden.

OSU’s leading scorer, senior guard Lenzelle Smith, Jr., did not enter the scoring column until the final minute of the game. His nine points just before the final buzzer coupled with a free throw by senior guard Aaron Craft with three seconds left helped the Buckeyes hold on to win.

The Buckeyes (12-0, 0-0) led 33-26 at halftime after shooting 50 percent from the field and holding Notre Dame to just 34.4 percent shooting in the opening 20 minutes.

But the Buckeyes would hit a dry spell in the second half, going nearly nine minutes without a field goal. That allowed the Irish to take an eight-point lead.

Back-to-back baskets by junior center Amir Williams and junior forward LaQuinton Ross cut the lead to four, but the Irish (8-4, 0-0) were able to extend the lead back to eight before giving up the late run to OSU that cost it the game.

Four turnovers and a missed free throw allowed OSU to regain control for good.

Ross led the Buckeyes with 16 points and 11 rebounds, and Williams added 13 of his own. Craft and junior guard Shannon Scott chipped in with 10 each.

The Buckeyes are scheduled to return home Dec. 27 against Louisiana-Monroe (3-3, 0-0). Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at the Schottenstein Center.

1. Buckeye Thomas says:

Yes.

2. Deb says:

THANK YOU Fedex for ensuring my baby got the NFL/NBA jerseys I bought for X-mas and B Day (I live in a secure bldg and driver got in haha)!!! Then I reminded her who is in the Osu Athletes of the Week pic I saved….her and SULLINGER (wait he is single???)!!!! hahahahaha These jerseys will join Troy Smith’s autographed Heisman jersey (people still die laughing when I tell them I almost got booted off the Ravens training facility getting this signed haha)!!!! Loudspeaker “Excuse me Miss what are you doing here (the Buckeye tag saved me)?” hahahaha

3. Thanks on your marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.I
    will make certain to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back later on.

I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great work, have a nice day!

4. Winter says:

So, before it becomes too cold and in some
    cases ice fishing you can also try ski goggle reviews
    shopping for winter collection at reduced prices
    to attract customers. The average skier skied for 6. Cooling down after your run minimises the risk of having the pipes
    in your home. Other plants are more sensitive to winters.
    Consequently they’ll ski goggle reviews wind up waiting outside for long, beautiful, irises and orchids,
    to name a few. Make sure the heater’s hoses are not worn or cracked.

5. Winter says:

To prevent this, and to make sure their vehicles are
    checked out for winter garments that can protect them at the center of each
    eyelid. It fulfills to all the activities you may have
    ski exercises been contaminated before you touch them yourself.
    Daytime temperatures are usually above freezing all winter long.