Home » Sports » Football » Review: ‘Youngstown Boys’ chronicles lives of former Buckeyes Jim Tressel, Maurice Clarett

Review: ‘Youngstown Boys’ chronicles lives of former Buckeyes Jim Tressel, Maurice Clarett

Lantern file photo

Lantern file photo

When Maurice Clarett and Jim Tressel started their respective football careers in a city in the heart of Mahoning County, each seemed destined for greatness.

For Clarett, it was supposed to be a Heisman-worthy career at Ohio State before a lengthy and successful NFL journey. For Tressel, it was meant to be multiple national titles in Columbus and surpassing the shadow of Woody Hayes before riding off into the sunset.

Both men fell short, but ultimately found purpose in their lives that could impact many other people in ways other than either of the aforementioned legacies. In the end, two Youngstown boys, known for their football prowess, could very well make their hometown proud for reasons that could never take place between the white lines of a football field.

As part of its noteworthy documentary series “30 for 30,” ESPN released the latest chapter in the series Saturday, chronicling the lives of the former Buckeyes.

The special program, called “Youngstown Boys,” portrayed the rise, fall and rebirth of the former OSU running back and his relationship with the former Buckeye football coach.

As one could assume, the documentary offered a very in-depth profile of Clarett and his life, but took on a different theme as well. His relationship with Tressel took a large role in the film and made “Youngstown Boys” about much more than the trials and tribulations of one of the most iconic players in Buckeye history.

Directed by Jeff and Michael Zimbalist, the film provides a look into the firm relationship between the two men, from their roots in Youngstown to their beginnings at Ohio State. As the film depicted, Clarett was leaning towards Notre Dame or Michigan before Tressel took over in Columbus in 2001. From that moment on, the running back knew he was meant to be a Buckeye.

Although everything started off smoothly for the duo, their relationship — along with Clarett’s life — took a sharp negative following OSU’s 2003 National Championship victory against the Miami Hurricanes. Former OSU athletic director Andy Geiger took the brunt of the heat for Clarett’s suspension in 2003 after it was found he took illegal benefits, but the film also took an angle that portrayed Tressel as a sellout. Rather than being a father figure to the young and lost Clarett, Tressel followed the route of prestige and power, ultimately retaining favor and love from OSU and its vast nation of fans.

From that point, Clarett’s life turned into a nightmare. He sued the NFL and was ultimately denied the right to enter the NFL draft early. He fell into a deep depression that sent him back into the streets he narrowly avoided as a child. He worked hard to impress at the NFL combine after two years away from the game, but failed miserably and didn’t receive a single NFL carry after being drafted in the third round by the Denver Broncos. Finally, it all hit a breaking point as Clarett was jailed for having multiple loaded weapons in his car after a high-pursuit police chase.

That breaking point, as Clarett sat in jail, began to string together incidents that would bring the “Youngstown Boys” back together again.

Tressel, seeing the result of his mishandling of the former running back, began taking responsibility for his actions and hold himself to a higher standard. Ultimately, that higher standard cost him his job at OSU, as Tressel defended his players, as “any father would,” and took the fall for their actions.

Tressel resigned in 2011 after 10 seasons at the helm in the wake of the Tattoo-gate scandal, where some former players were found to be receiving illegal benefits. And in what seemed to be an ironic paradox, both “Youngstown Boys” saw such glory just years before, sat at the lowest points in their respective lives.

In their misery, both men found their purpose in life beyond football. As Clarett sat in jail, enriching his mind in the way he had enriched his body for years before, both the running back and the coach reached out to each other and rebuilt a strained relationship.

While OSU was certainly a glorious path along their journey, each of the “Youngstown Boys” said they believe there is a higher purpose to fulfill. Both are using their influence and experience to help people to better their lives.

Tressel, now executive vice president at the University of Akron, is trying to provide a guiding light to a new generation of students while Clarett is using his life to help provide a way for others to avoid his mistakes. Through it all, they maintain a very loving and helping relationship in which they have forgiven and forgotten all of their past transgressions.

1. Betty Lopez Diaz Spates

Nice to see clarett changed his ways

2. I have heard Randi and Loper on 99.7 The Blitz talk about this movie, or show, and they have nothing but really good things to say about it. I have it recorded but haven't watched it yet. I look forward to watching it this weekend. If you haven't seen it or recorded it, Loper just said this morning that it has been playing on ESPN quite a bit in the past couple days, so you should be able to still see it.

3. I have heard Randi and Loper on 99.7 The Blitz talk about this movie, or show, and they have nothing but really good things to say about it. I have it recorded but haven’t watched it yet. I look forward to watching it this weekend. If you haven’t seen it or recorded it, Loper just said this morning that it has been playing on ESPN quite a bit in the past couple days, so you should be able to still see it.

4. They did a good job with the second part of this movie, which chronicled Clarett’s life of crime. The first part was very one-sided and dishonest. He blames everyone but himself for what happened to him at Ohio State, but he made a horrible mess of things while he was there. The movie left out a whole bunch of stuff and made him look like the victim and Ohio State like the bad guy, but in reality, he was the bad guy. It would have been nice if they had interviewed someone else besides his family, his lawyer, Jim Brown, Jim Tressel, and others who mostly had nothing but nice things to say. If they were able to get Geiger to talk, or some other compliance workers who were there at the time, or some assistant coaches, or some local beat writers. They might have been able to paint a more accurate picture of how much hell on wheels Clarett was when he was there.

5. Nice that Clarett enriched his mind in prison. Too bad he didn’t try it while attending OSU. By all accounts he was a lousy student who made no effort. I give credit to ordinary students who don’t need to go to prison to attain success. At least he’s not still running around with guns robbing people and blaming everybody for his bad behavour though. At least that.

6. Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the images on this blog
    loading? I’m trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or
    if it’s the blog. Any feed-back would be greatly appreciated.

7. Great review!

my take:
    I finally watched this whole documentary. #ncaa #tressel #ohiostate #buckeyes #nfl #justice #mauriceclarett It is amazing viewing. Man, I love football, but I hate what swirls around it. That world is full of darkness and evil, but I think it grows darker the higher up the ante…the NFL being the biggest gangsters. Here is a great review of #younstownboys … I know, Maurice unraveled and brought a lot of this upon himself, but thank God, he seems to be recovering. Not many stories like this end with even a glimmer of hope. Like the NFL, the NCAA is lost and just craps on anyone who threatens the almighty dollar. Originally, Maurice was accused of taking a nice car rental and having a few bucks, while Heisman Trophy rape cases (Winston) have been swept under rugs…and the NFL worries more about marijuana than it does violent male on female abuse and worse evil. Mama, don’t let your babies grow up to be football players… Lots of money, IF …you make it to the top, but you just may have to sell your soul. #lies