Commentary: Gordon Gee still deserves Ohio State support during time as West Virginia University president

January 9, 2014

hollar.38@osu.edu
OSU President Emeritus E. Gordon Gee during an interview with The Lantern Oct. 21. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

OSU President Emeritus E. Gordon Gee during an interview with The Lantern Oct. 21.
Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

When former Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee began his career in university leadership in 1981, the “Late Show with David Letterman” didn’t exist.

More than 30 years later, however, in an homage to Letterman’s regular top 10 lists, Gee listed the top 10 reasons he is glad to be serving as the temporary president at West Virginia University in a video posted on the WVU website Wednesday.

The video, in which Gee shares his glee at returning to WVU, might seem like salt in a sentimental wound, but to paraphrase Celine Dion, our hearts will go on, fellow Buckeyes.

After all, he’s not gone for good. And though they had him first, we had him longer — twice.

While our beloved bow tie aficionado might be missed, he still deserves our support during his time as WVU’s president.

He is still our president emeritus, you see. His time at WVU is his time on leave from OSU. Simply put, Gee is on vacation.

If he wants to wear blue and gold bow ties and gorge on pepperoni rolls with his grandchildren, more power to him.

It’s your vacation, Gee. Go wild. Have fun. Listen to “Country Roads” to your heart’s content.

Just promise your next video is of you trying out that fancy WVU zip line.

Oh, and come home safe. We miss you.

Tags: , , ,

1. DEM says:

Dr. Gee seems like a great guy, and does anyone else have a problem with Dr. Gee’s former multi-million dollar salary? I strikes me as strange that a land-grant university with the mission of providing an AFFORDABLE higher education to the citizens of Ohio would compensate their president many times that which all other Big Ten presidents are paid. Perhaps his replacement will receive a much less exuberant salary.

2. Stephen Levano's Grandson says:

I'm at a loss; exactly what were Gee's unique contributions, other than being a nice guy? In what ways did he impact on the school? He has a new job, so I'm unsure of what support he needs from OSU students. The man is not leaving under fire, after all.

3. Hmm says:

GG didn’t do much as president except kiss booster butt and bring in money by being charming and cute. He’s not a visionary and he didn’t rock the boat. When we had a university president that actually made big improvements – Karen Holbrook – she ruffled feathers and it was constant complaints. However you can thank her for the medical campus building up, all the new research buildings on 12th Ave. that were crumbling when she came, for cleaning up game day behavior and post game behavior where we had riots etc. and for the new library. But maybe because she was a woman or maybe because she had the audacity to say fans should not act like pigs at football games she was never accepted the way GG was into people’s hearts. Sad how stupid our society is.

4. Jose Amaya says:

Classy commentary. Recognizes that no leader is perfect, but Gordon represents OSU’s commitment to excellence in education, and the many contributions OSU Buckeyes have made to the world. Rock on, Gordon.