Ohio State loses third straight game, falls to Minnesota, 63-53

January 16, 2014

seger.25@osu.edu
Senior guard Aaron Craft (4) defends and Iowa player during a game Jan. 12 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU lost, 84-74. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Senior guard Aaron Craft (4) defends and Iowa player during a game Jan. 12 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU lost, 84-74.
Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

No matter how you slice it, something just seems off with the Ohio State men’s basketball team.

The mystery continued against Minnesota Thursday, as the No. 11 Buckeyes fell to the Golden Gophers, 63-53, for their third straight loss.

It is the first time since February 2009 that the Buckeyes have lost three straight games.

OSU (15-3, 2-3) never could get anything going on the offensive end, shooting just 11-29 from the field in the first half.

Despite the shooting woes, the game was tied at 29 at halftime thanks to a basket by OSU junior forward LaQuinton Ross just before the buzzer sounded. The Buckeyes were unable to take advantage of 10 turnovers by the Golden Gophers in the opening 20 minutes.

The cold shooting for OSU continued early in the second half, as Minnesota (14-4, 3-2) built a lead early. The Buckeyes had five straight possessions that ended in a turnover, until Ross hit a three to cut the lead to 36-35.

Minnesota extended its lead to 57-46 after a turnover by senior guard Aaron Craft led to a wide-open layup by Minnesota senior guard Austin Hollins.

A free throw by junior center Amir Williams cut the lead to 10, but OSU would never get within double digits before the clock ran out as the Buckeyes could simply not find the shooting stroke.

OSU shot a dismal 18-51 from the floor, and were outrebounded by the Golden Gophers, 37-25.

Ross, who finished the game with a game-high 22 points, did not have much help from his teammates, as the only other Buckeye to score in double figures was junior forward Sam Thompson with 12.

Up next, the Buckeyes are scheduled to travel to Nebraska (8-8, 0-4) Monday. Tipoff against the Cornhuskers is set for 7 p.m.

1. Anonymous says:

Thad Matta recruited those guys who surround Aaron Craft, now he needs to do something new, like being a coach!

2. GH says:

Craft needs to start shooting from outside. Opponents are playing 5 on 4 defense because they know he doesn’t shoot.

3. It was embarrassing watching the game last night. There was very little offense and almost no offensive rebounding, one shot and done. The Buckeyes should have been up by at least 10 or 12 at the beginning of the game when Minnesota had 8 turnovers in the first 8 minutes of the game! We have the talent, let's go Bucks!

4. KainTuckBuck says:

I hate that OSU continues to provide weaker opponents with “signature wins.” B10 regular-season title is a thing of the past and it’s hard to imagine the scenario that puts them in the B10 tournament title game.

5. Jeff Topps says:

The fact is, the team has only one scorer. They have no offensive rebounders and they allow teams to score at will in the paint. We seldom get layups and when we do, we seem to miss them. A lot of the early season good play, albeit against lesser opponents, seems to have disappeared. Most teams have learned from watching the Notre Dame game, one OSU was lucky to pull out. Just as with the football team, better opponents have revealed the teams’ weaknesses. It’s still early in the BIG season, but getting better soon in all phases of the game is the next chore. Matta has his work cut out for him.

6. James Willis says:

No mystery at all. This is yet another overrated OSU team, pure and simple. We’ve seen it before. Play a bunch of cupcakes and run up the score, get overrated, then collapse when playing good or even semi-good teams.