Opinion: Jennifer Lawrence is overrated, Oscar voters submit to public opinion

January 26, 2014

rahman.65@osu.edu
Jennifer Lawrence attends the 20th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards Jan. 18.  Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Jennifer Lawrence attends the 20th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards Jan. 18.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Alas, the news came out Jan. 16 that many movie junkies had been waiting for — the announcement of nominations for the 86th Annual Academy Awards. There were, like always, surprises and snubs that had people talking.

All categories of this award ceremony have garnered my strong attention, but let’s talk about the awards that everyone seems to care about: acting.

A big name appearing on the Best Supporting Actress ballot was actress Jennifer Lawrence. Everyone these days seems to be in love with Lawrence, whose highly vocal attitude but sincere acting have earned her a special place in fans’ hearts.

I had just seen the film for which she was nominated, “American Hustle” (which is pretty good by the way), the previous week, and while the acting in the film was relatively good, no one particular performance by an actor struck me as brilliant. This includes Lawrence’s. Now that is simply one man’s unsupported opinion and nothing really more. But for some reason, this young star in particular made me ponder a little bit more.

Lawrence is a three-time Oscar nominee, and the youngest person to have the achievement at a mere 23 years old. I would have to say that she is a prominent figure in Hollywood society too, with her constant coverage in the media, as it seems that every time I turn on a late night talk show, she is a main guest.

When I happen to see all these things online and on television, I simply ask, “Why?”

Being a movie fanatic, I have seen her portray all three roles that earned her Oscar nominations, starting from “Winter’s Bone,” which in all honesty was her best Oscar effort in a role, not her portrayal as a bipolar widow in “Silver Linings Playbook.”

This brings up an issue that is to me of pressing urgency. Lawrence is getting more love from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences than she deserves. This, however, is not the issue that needs to be brought up. The issue is with the Academy itself.

I have always believed the Academy has shown an extensive capability for manipulation over the course of the past decade or so.

Voters in this film institution don’t just look at the quality of the works presented to them, but also seem to think about other factors such as popularity and influence from outsiders. Popular actors and actresses, such as Lawrence, have lots of support and popularity and this body of influence intimidates the Academy, I believe, into leaning to their favor when deciding who wins the Oscar.

If that isn’t food for thought, ponder how social influence affects the decision of the Academy as well. Think of Halle Berry, who won her Best Actress in a Leading Role Oscar for her performance in “Monster’s Ball” in 2002. Her performance was good, but many criticized the Academy for the decision, stating that the roles of other actresses that year were better.

Look back only a few months before that, I found that some in the black community pressed hard on the Academy that a female black actress has never won the Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role, claiming that prejudice as a factor. Now while there is no way to prove that was the reason Berry won the Oscar that year, the proximity of these two events was very close.

The same thing is going on here with Lawrence. Just a few years back, I believe there was a slew of complaints from young Hollywood, that younger actors and actresses don’t get enough consideration with the Academy. Right after, a slew of nominations come in that are guided toward younger actors and actresses, a situation I believe opened the door for Lawrence to enter the scene.

In the end, my words need to be represented in the right manner. I think many blacks and young Hollywood had points when they made their arguments, but that doesn’t mean the integrity of fair judging should be abandoned to appease an angry crowd. That, in a way, is selling out. There are other ways the Academy could have handled those situations, including having more interest in the roles of black or young actors over time.

Is Jennifer Lawrence a bad actress? Of course not. She is pretty good, especially in comparison with her contemporaries. However, no matter how much “Entertainment Weekly” or Conan O’Brien like her, the Academy needs to keep a level playing field. Form your own opinions and stand by them, regardless of outside pressure. That right there is honesty.

Correction: A prior headline of this article misspelled Jennifer Lawrence’s last name as “Lawerence.” In fact, it is “Lawrence.”

1. dian says:

First; Jennifer Lawrence played a depress-Sex-Addict-in-recovery-widower in Silver Lining’s Playbook; Bradley C. played the bipolar character, maybe that’s why her performance was amiss to your likings.

Second; Every time you seen Jennifer Lawrence back to back on the TV screen, giving interview’s is when a movie were is is in is out; last year there was Hunger Games Catching Fire then came American Hustle (for witch she has hardly come to interviews at all since she is working in HG Mokingjay coming out this year)

Third; She is a very versatile actress and her nominations are well place, that she wins or not that’s another factor but at least the recognition is there and she deserves it as many actors that know their craft.

2. UKReader says:

I completely agree with what you’ve written above. JL is an OK actress who did not particularly wow me in SLP. Halle’s acting was woeful the year she won – a pity the AA didn’t wait for the great many wonderful black actresses that came after her. They did one good thing though – they didn’t nominate Tom Hanks this year for CP, possibly because he was acted off the screen by Berkhad Abdi. Emma Thompson should’ve got the nod.

3. Travis says:

Counter-question: does it matter?

4. Ozzie says:

Have you read what producers, film industry CEOs, directors and peers say about Jennifer Lawrence? These are people who invest millions in their films and gain nothing by false flattery, and even if they did their respect for her is so overwhelming as to be undeniable. Hopefully, your major is in something other than film criticism, or perhaps you think that being a rebel outlier is your ticket to such a job. Either way, your piece is poorly researched and inaccurate at best (what about The Poker House, The Burning Plain, etc.?) and hopelessly biased at worst.

5. able says:

That’s is just shallow hipsterism. It’s laughably easy. Just single out someone who is very successful, very popular, very acclaimed and write the word “overrated.” How edgy!? How contrarian!? How boring.
    When her performance in AH won the NSFC on the first ballot, it became very difficult to claim that she gets acclaim based on a favoritism or popularity. Actually she won 2 out of the 3 main critic’s awards this year. She pretty much saved AH. The audience loved her.
    What actors you personally like is subjective. But I’m not pressing to write a petty opinion piece about my subjective opinion. And the assumptions of this piece are ironic. So appreciation of talent should be predicated on skin color? Brilliant. I’d say 99.999 percent of aspiring actors don’t make it. Talent is talent.

6. Greg says:

First I would like to point out that jennifer Lawrence’s silver lining playbook character was the most layered and complex character she’s ever played. The character is suppose to be a depressive, rebellious, sexy, unapologetic sex addict. She portrayed all of those and more and most of these layers together in many of her scene. It takes a lot of talent to do that. She even made me completely forget the age difference.

Now for her role in American hustle, let me give you the opinion of someone who had never seen any of he movies before that one. My cousin of 40 years went to see a screening with me. Now he’s not a major movie geek but he certainly watches a lot of them. He’s a major Christian bale fan but coming out of the movie he was raving about Jennifer’s character and asking questions about her. He said she was his favorite in the movie by far. I asked him how old he thought she was and said late 20s early 30s, which confirmed to me that the only reason a few people find her to be miscast is because they already know her true age and already have a biased opinion about her. But back to my cousin who doesn’t really follow the politics of Hollywood or any actor interviews and who had seen her in a movie for the first time. Clearly he was not influenced by anything yet he was instantly a fan after watching the same movie that you claim that she doesn’t deserve a nomination for.

Is there politics involved in the oscars… Yes. But in my honest opinion it does not apply to jennifer lawrence. Her performances are very Oscar worthy in my opinion and I believe her peers think the same. You cannot have every section of the movie industry praising her since her first roles and say that she’s overrated. I suggest you go and read some reviews from her least famous movies ( before her academy nominations and before she became so famous) and you will realize that critics were praising her even though they had just discovered her in movies such as the poker house and burning plain. Most critics were praising her above Charlize and every other older actor she was working with in these 2 movies even though she wasn’t even a star back then. Check the dates if you want to be even more sure. Now how is it that even then she was receiving such praises from people who did not know her before? Knowing this, how is it far fetched to think that she is receiving genuine praises from the movie industry today when she s gaining even more experience?

Everyone has different things, styles of acting etc… That moves them. Some people think mery Streep is overrated. Others say Hepburn is overrated. But most will agree that they are both amazing. And for jennifer lawrence most seem to agree that she is extremely talented. Call this article your opinion but do not dare to use the word overrated because your opinion is different than most. She doesn’t seem to move you as much but the same can be said for Meryl Streep for a few others.

7. Tiffany says:

Are you serious??? This blog is ‘Overrated’..this young woman has so much talent that it’s not even funny and to say she doesn’t deserve any nomination for AH is just stupid..I’ve been a fan of her’ s since the poker house and to me she lights up the screen. Nothing can’t please you haters.she has been a critical acclaimed actress even before the whole hunger games trilogy thing began and I’m so happy that people can now discover how much love I have for her..Tell me has any actor from a big trilogy like Hunger Games (eg Twilight and Harry Potter) reached the success she has?? Can they say they have been nominated for an Oscars two times..NO. she’s the best in the game right now so crawl back under your rock and let your hate kill you…BYE

8. bax says:

jen isn’t overrated ok! you are just one of the people who are against another oscar for jen (i know you are rooting for lupita)

9. reader says:

Why did you feel the need to write an entire article about how overrated you think someone is? Jennifer Lawrence is a successful actress, get over it

10. person says:

So what if she is nominated a lot? she does not always win. So what if people like her? so what if you don’t? I swear people find the need to write about how they don’t think she is that talented or she shouldn’t have been nominated, blah, blah, blah. I swear it’s like high school and people are trying to be cool and different, like OMG I’m so cool because I don’t like the person everyone else does!! so what?? Writing about it doesn’t make you cool, you don’t like her, you aren’t the only one, get over it.

11. olivia says:

of course you think she’s overrated. you’re a sexist, biased male blogger who can’t seem to understand that yes, we women can achieve what men can. so what if everyone’s talking about her all the time – she is very talented with a very down to earth personality.
    throughout this article, the only thing that popped out at me was how incredibly sexist this society still is. jennifer lawrence is a beautiful and talented woman and she deserves every oscar she is nominated for.

12. Tom says:

The blogger is probably just jealous or pessimistic. Lawrence is widely, i mean widely, being considered as the next meryl streep.

I love jennifer lawrence this is not true it almost made me cry

Say what you will about Jennifer Lawrence’s performances in the Indie films and American Hustle, but none of you could say without an ounce of a doubt that Jennifer Lawrence deserved that Oscar over Jessica Chastain.

15. Tamara says:

I get what this article (along with the tiny amount of “backlash articles” that have come out recently) is trying to say as well as the commenters who are defending Jen. She is truly a remarkable actor, especially but not only for her age. I credit her solely for making a teen fantasy franchise into something real, haunting and completely non-cheesy. However, I do think she’s being given slightly more attention than maybe someone else with equal talent, NOT saying she doesn’t deserve it please note. I too fall prey to the same phenomenon, like even before seeing AH I was convinced she’d be super amazing and completely steal the show. When I saw it, she was impressive but I had to admit she seemed to be ever so slightly overacting, and the role seemed to be a subtle rehash of her SLP character. But more grating is just the constant “I’m so obese!” “I’m really hungry now!” comments from her that become front page news just because she’s J-Law.

But let’s keep this related to acting. She has been amazing in both roles that are loud and bratty (SLP, AH) as well as roles which require her to be a strong, quiet burdened teen (hunger games, winters bone). I think for me personally, the test will be in whether she can pull off just a normal everyday role, a character that realty is nothing extraordinary and then see if she still shines. I’m sure she will and she’ll have a great career ahead of her, but lets not bash everyone who has a slightly different opinion than the norm.

16. kerry says:

So, if your point really was to point out the errors in the Academy, then why include Jennifer Lawrence in your title and attach her picture?
    It’s because you are part of the problem…
    It’s the television and print media, the bloggers of all types and reviewers who use Jennifer Lawrence just to get people to read their article. Everybody knows that Jennifer Lawrence is the most popular actress on the planet right now. People who enjoy her acting as well as those who don’t still take the time to watch and read about her (which is why all of you continually write about her).
    But what you all haven’t learned is that when you make Jennifer Lawrence the subject of your article, whatever point you’re trying to make gets lost because it becomes all about her.

17. Female Actress Hater says:

I think we can agree same of us would not stay silent an would not allow female actress to success & will spread campaign to hate any successful female actress, either by spreading opinion that she is overrated, can’t act, etc.

I mean is there any article that Brad Pitt, Robert Downey Jr., Johnny Depp or Leonardo Dicaprio Overrated ? No right ?

It’s always successful female actress, Jen. Lawrence, Anne Hattaway, Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts that get labeled Overrated. It’s not their fault that public and movie critic adore them. Can we just enjoy their work and not try to destroy their carrier ?

18. Janikka says:

Thank you for letting us know your opinion. But, first of all, saying “it’s just my opinion,” or whatsoever does not excuse you to criticize Jennifer Lawrence. The twenty-three-year-old actress is not at all overrated. I don’t think these people would nominate Jennifer Lawrence for anything she has such as her charisma other than her talent in acting. Jennifer Lawrence appears to be indeed sincere when it comes to acting. Jennifer Lawrence has been very popular lately, so this doesn’t surprise me at all that someone even bothered to write an article about whatever this is. It’s normal to see this, though, when someone’s just so successful other people would try so hard to pull her out of this specific success. This is a complete nonsense.

19. Curstin says:

One She is not over rated she is under rated, She teaches kids you don’t have to be something you are not to be famous or to be loved! So This blog sucks so shove it.

Nice try spin boy, got my attention. Your on my list. aaaahhhh, hahahaha, aaaaaah, hahahaha, aaaaaaaaaah, hahahaha!, aaah, hahaha, aaah, hahaha, aah, haha, ah, ahem, ah.

I am assuming most of the posters here are OSU students, correct? I hope you are all freshman. Can I make a suggestion for you when you sign up for your courses for next semster? WRTING, ENGLISH, VOCABULARY classes please!!!! My God, the writing in these comments is atrocious.

22. Jan says:

I’ll take my improper English writing skills any day of the week, because at least I know how to correct people without insulting them.

23. abc says:

If you’ve bothered to watch the Oscars for oh, let’s say, the past 10 years, you’d know the Oscars have done pretty much the total opposite of submit to public opinion.

24. Amalgamate says:

All of you weirdos who replied need to crawl out of Jennifer Lawrence’s coooch. She is OK-the author is correct. She was actually miscast in Hustle-way too young and looked like a HS actress (did her character have a kid at 14?). There is clearly something going on with the Academy and pretty sure the author isnt jealous of an actress-that doesnt even make sense.

25. gyg says:

this article is so stupid. JLaw is a great actress and she deserves what she is now.
    your points of black politic and youth actress in oscar are not equally relevant. if so, academy members, as i know, would be much happier to justify that acting quality is determined by the persistency of performances in years by actress.
    but academy members are not into that, they value the quality of actings regardless ages, skin, races or politics.

26. mb says:

I won’t make any comments relative to how right or wrong the author’s opinion is, but I will point out a major factual inaccuracy, which is his assertion that “younger actors and actresses don’t get enough consideration with the Academy.” This couldn’t be further from the truth. Are you familiar with Hollywood, particularly the way it stops really caring about work from older actresses unless their names are Dench, Streep, or Mirren? Have you looked at the list of Best Actress winners? 20 of the 30 actresses who have won that honor in the past 30 years have been under 40, with a number of them under 30. The Best Actor crowd skews older, but the average age in the past half-century is still under 50.

In short, young women – particularly very attractive ones – have no problem getting nominated for Oscars or winning them, and it’s completely inaccurate to state as much.

27. rick says:

Not being a particular fan of overpriced movie fare, I can’t really speak to her qualifications good or bad. However, I thought the whole purpose of a blog was to express an opinion. You are free to agree or disagree. Unless of course your opinion is the only one that matters, in which case you may want to climb out of the basement and do something more with your life.

28. AaronD says:

I don’t pretend to be able to distinguish between a good, solid performance and an absolutely brilliant one (although I can sometimes spot an absolute stinker!) since I’m neither a committed student of acting nor of cinema, but I will say this about Lawrence: she makes me smile, and I always want to see more. I detect great detail in her acting, and yet it all seems so uncalculated, as if she isn’t really acting at all. But the only thing that she seems to transfer to the screen from her flighty offscreen personality is likeability, which I reckon is a legitimate and rare tool for an actress.
    I actually notice things AFTER the film is over. Her reaction to and weighing up of Bradley Cooper on first meeting his character in Silver Linings Playbook and her plaintive pursuit of him when out running (“but this is my neighbourhood!”), the warmth in her approach to a frightened potential ally in Hunger Games, the desolation of a tough girl realising that she’ll have to fight again in Catching Fire, the polite porch hostility to sheriff and bail bondsman in Winter’s Bone. And other actors often seem to perform above par with her.
    It occurs to me that ALL of the films I’ve seen her in would have been considerably less good without her presence, even seen-it-before psycho thrillers like House At the End of the Street which probably deserves a dozy scream queen but gets a problem solver with a spark of intelligence in her eye.
    I honestly try to be critical, but all I can come up with is that she walks and runs in a slightly awkward fashion, which is strange for someone often cast in roles which ask them to do a lot of walking and running. But I’m afraid even the splay-footed plod is quite endearing.
    Overrated? Obviously I don’t think so. Julianne Moore, Kate Blanchett and Helen Mirren, no doubt Emmanuelle Riva – like I said, I’m not really much of a student – are always terrific, but they can’t play women in their teens or early twenties like Jennifer Lawrence. Sometimes that level of experience has to be taken into consideration when making an assessment. I just never really notice any other actresses in that age bracket consistently being able to do the same.

29. jon says:

Don’t get her at all. How she gets an Oscar I’d beyond me. Overated pudgy faced moon face

30. Christopher Potter says:

Pudgy-faced wudgy-faced moon-faced Jon!
    His overrated buns jiggle hither and yon!
    He’ll never win an Oscar and it’s plain to see why,
    ’cause a pudgy moon visage means disqualify!

I agree with this:) I think she’s a lovely ,funny and talented person but I didn’t think she was that good in Sliver Linings Playbook…I mean her acting was really good but ,in my opinion, wasn’t that um “strong” enough to give her an oscar. I too believe it’s mainly media that contributed to her winning the oscar, again I’m not saying she isn’t a good actor , because she is!! But let’s face it she isn’t the best. It’s a sort of a Hunger Game , whoever gets the most popular is the one that shines over any other person.

32. Matt says:

I am not a big fan of JL, but she is talented. I am just surprised (though I probably shouldn’t be) that people are being so nasty in the comment section just because the guy is giving his opinion.

33. Matylda Rives says:

People are talking about “sexism” because someone dares criticize Jennifer Lawrence—go figure. The best film Lawrence has done, in my opinion, is Winter’s Bone. Maybe I say that because I read the book, maybe I say this because Jennifer wasn’t a household name then, but still. Why is everyone jumping down this guy’s throat for having an opinion? Lawrence’s fans need to realize and accept the fact that not everyone likes Jennifer Lawrence. Having a different opinion doesn’t instantly make you sexist, a hater, jealous, a jerk who hates popular people, whatever. I like the Hunger Games books, I really do—but the movies, the overexposure, everything makes me so sick of it. Lawrence’s face has been plastered everywhere you go, and it does get old, no matter how successful or how much you like a person.

I’m no actor, I’m not a film critic, but I have taken notice of Jennifer’s extreme popularity. It seems as though that people have the mindset of “well everyone else loves her so I should too.” Personally, I haven’t found anything none too special about her acting, except for Winter’s Bone. She sounded monotone in The Hunger Games film, other than the parts wherein she was crying and screaming and generally overacting. Her interviews are even worse. I can see being outgoing and perky, but she takes it to such a level that I wonder if it is at all genuine. In fact, if she’s a guest on a daytime talk show, I end up turning it. The girl gives me a headache. Yeah, she’s won awards, she has people of all walks obsessing over her, praising her every move, and I just don’t get why. Whether or not someone is a good actor is subjective, so all of these fangirly “omg you’re such a stupid idiot JLaw is a fab actor” comments border hilarious.

It is easy to “hate” someone if they’re popular or even a little noteworthy, but that doesn’t instantly make every negative or disapproving opinion about said person that way. Jennifer may seem fun and awesome to everyone else, but to me the girl seems to be putting on an act—even if it’s only a small one.

34. landon says:

JL is a true talent. I think the argument here is between good and great – which is always up to the interpreter. Based on her current body of work, I’d say she’s good and lucky. The roles she’s played have all been in the same vein. She finds herself in strong story lines and familiar roles that make people want to cheer for her. It is easy after three of the same types of movies that we’d be on JL’s side – and fortunately, for her, some of this is carried over into real life.

Why she’s not great…
    The hallmark of a great actress, in my opinion, is one who makes you identify with, believe in and feel for her character’s role. Sigourney Weaver – in the alien films, Kate Winslet – titanic, Uma Thurman – in Kill Bill and Gattaca; heck even Natalie Portman in star wars “Anakin, you’re breaking my heart.” are among my all time favorite females in roles that made me “feel” for their character. There are many more.

However, to date, JL hasn’t done that for me. I wanted to believe in Hunger Games. However, her interaction with her sister Prim in part one was cheesy and over played. Her weakness and confusion in part 2 was not believable enough. AH she didn’t seem mature enough – possibly because i knew her real age. But there’s a certain gravitas a mature woman carries (Think Dorothy Dandridge in Carmen Jones or Marlyn Monroe in ) – JL doesn’t have that yet. The scene in SLP where she’s telling people off at the house, while spitting sports facts and takes a sip of the beer was high school acting at best. When she cries, I don’t feel the urge to cry with her… i think awe that’s cute. So, in my opinion, she’s good but not great. And yes with her fame, and the number of films she’s stared in a short amount of time, there’s bound to be a lot of hype fanning the JL flames.

35. Monica says:

This Jenifer Lawrence craze has to end. Yeah okay so she is sweet, but is she Oscar worthy? Ladies and gentlemen, I think not!

36. Mark G says:

Let’s talk about UNDERrated. Lots of good perfromances out there went unnoticed again this year. Sam Rockwell was a standout in ‘The Way, Way Back’ and should have been on the supporting actor. Meanwhile, like her or not, Jennifer Lawrence is a talented actress. I’m sure your blog didn’t ruin her day.

37. FILMGIRL says:

I absolutely agree with everything you have said. I am glad someone has finally written about this. She is a talented actress but her wins at the Oscars and the Golden Globes were premature. She gave better performances in the past two Hunger Games movies than she did in the other movies she was nominated for, except Winter’s Bone. Personality and influence should not win awards, it should be performance.

38. inesha says:

omg J.L is not that great I do not understand y she keeps winning. I could not even watch American Hustle she looked way to young, seemed liked she try to hard she just wasnt believeable this is how i feel. I just can not watch her, just seem so fake like she tires to hard when she acts. I stop watching academy awards 2 years ago, her best performance was winter bone. She isnt that great.i am a girl by the way, i am not jealous, i just do not understand. i respect actors and actress, directors. I love the movie industry. But its not the same anymore hollywood has there favorites.

39. inesha says:

By the way I did not finsh watching it too cause I went to Youtube after seening j.l for the first two minutes she appeared. Read the youtube comments people wrote alot of it said it wasnt in the same league as Casion. I wasnt suprise cause hollywood makes alot of crap movie these past couple years. Like Avatar, Avengers, Thor, Argo,Django Unchained was okay didnt deserve all that hype it got. I love his previous movies like pulp fiction, ingl bastards. There is alot of stupid movies lately. Argo was really disappointing, ben affleck winning an award, wow thats amazing. HOW…?

40. Catching Fire Fan!! says:

Ok listen people, Jennifer Lawrence is a fantastic actress. I mean she’s only 23 and look how far she has come! She’s been nominated 3 times and has already won. She was very funny in American Hustle but it wasn’t an Oscar performance. Lupita deserved to win. SlP was also a good movie, and she was awesome in it, but it wasn’t amazing. Now for Winter’s bone, she was nominated, I haven’t seen it but maybe she was still young at the time and had things to learn so I understand why she didn’t win. Jennifer is also beautiful and funny and she’s not self-absorbed. The only problem I do have is that since she’s gotten the attention, she kinda seems more over whelming now. The Jared leto thing, even though it was a joke, she should learn to be a little more humble and sincere. As for Catching Fire, she is the BEST in it and she should win an Oscar for her performance!! She’s the best Katniss and not even divergent will overtake it!! I think Im just more used to her with her Catching fire cast cause she seems more calm and relaxed and when she’s in Hollywood, she gets a little annoying. That’s just my opinion and im not saying she’s horrible im just giving my opinion! But overall she’s a awesome person and I cant wait for MOCKINGJAY!!!!!

thank you FINALLY for this article.

42. Foxworthy says:

Seeing her acting SLP I certainly agree that JL’s acting talent is overrated. I don’t claim to be a super good actor but I’ve had my fair share of experience working with actors and actresses and you will find the most amazing actors are the ones who are capable of demonstrating extremely complex emotions.

In this criteria JL fails. When she is sad, she shows herself being sad, when she is angry she shows herself being angry and she is not doubt good at acting these emotions, but in order to qualify as award-winning one should at least be able to go beyond one dimensional acting.

JL has a lot of die-hard fans from her Hunger Games days and many of her younger fans relate to her which is why there are a lot of nasty comments against anyone who criticizes JL because they feel like an insult to JL is an insult pointed towards them as well. Also many of her fans are quite young and have not seen older movies with higher level acting and so they think JL is the best out there.

43. anonymous says:

To me the mark of a Great Actor/Actress is the ability to make me believe they are their character. When I watched SLP I saw Tiffany Maxwell, a whore widow minus the whore for the most part that was falling in love with crazy Pat…Not Jennifer Lawrence playing a woman falling in love with a man played by Bradley Cooper. That is what makes JL different then some of the other actresses. Personally I think Sandra Bullock is completely overrated as well as Brad Pitt but that of course is my feelings on their ability as actors. Just because the author believes JL is overrated does not mean he is wrong or sexist or any of the other stuff posted in the comments. It just means he doesn’t like her. No big deal. I personally would pay money to see a JL movie. I watched 12 years a slave and I hated the movie but I was impressed with Lupita. I watched American Hustle and I hated the movie but JL’s performance made it worth watching to me

44. Roberto says:

overrated , ruined the hunger games, i hate her for that !

45. Floyd says:

Wow, if we’re talking about talent then I have to say JL has it! Look at her roles even as early on The Bill Engvall Show, she can play comedy, she won a ton of awards besides the Oscars for Winter’s Bone as a gritty teen trying to find her Dad, it was an incredibly well played part, Playing her parts in Hunger Games extremely well and carried the lead role in great fashion. She was amazing in Silver Lining Playbook (again tons of awards besides the Oscar), she used the right emotions, the right off the wall character and seriousness in a role that showed the public many sides of mental illness extremely well!! Face it she was right for the roll. As far as American Hustle, I think she played a trophy wife for an aging man who fell in love with her kid. It wasn’t the best role she has ever played but she was cast and did the very best she could with what was given her, that says something to me! In The House at the end of the road she played it well but it wasn’t a great script either. I’m waiting to see her the the movie Serena, again with Bradly Cooper! Some who have seen screenings of it say it’s her best role to date. Bottom line is she incredibly talented at 23 with many years to hone her skills so I say to those that think she is overrated or a long term successful actor as I believe only time will tell! I think your overrated article is premature on Jennifer Lawrence in my humble opinion and simply used her name to get people to read the rag!!

46. Jaylee says:

Jennifer Lawrence is overrated, she’s often considered an amazing actress to most of my friends. To me, she is an okay actress with a lot to learn. She has a humorous personality.

47. Inesha says:

She needs to learn more. She okay at acting I don’t like shailene but she is a better actress then j.law. And I hate that I have to admit that. J.law annoys me cuz she gets these big roles and it’s like y. Give her something more smaller, let her practice more with small roles. So she can grow. How does she win oscars from far better actress. Like come on Amy Adams should have had all the spotlight. Know Amy can act her ass off. And jessica chastain.

48. Marissa says:

Meryl Streep don’t even compare her to Meryl. That is way to much hype, going overboard. U probably watch a lot of terrible movies and thinking anybody can act.

49. Josh says:

Please everyone shut up about her beauty, poise, authenticity in the spotlight etc. She isn’t being given “best in show” at Westminster dog show. It is her acting that matters when being considered for an Oscar, and her acting is mediocre. She does have confidence in front of the camera and she takes direction well. I will admit that many actors struggle with those things so those are pluses for Jennifer. Still she is only acting out one emotion at a time and without any deeper understanding of what her character is going through. She admits this. Ask her. So with Jennifer you get “upset” or (director says more) “more upset”. She does not study her roles and attempt to express anything complicated eg. lover has been caught cheating which makes her character enraged but at the same time broken-hearted and vulnerable. With J-Law you get happy, sad, neutral, sad, mad, etc. It is as if she were being judged as a child star and not an adult with a fully developed sense of self. If you disagree with me try to imagine her arguing heatedly with her director over her character’s motivations for the next scene. Hard to imagine isn’t it? She clearly has the potential to become very good or even great but, lets stop gushing over her performances until they are better.

50. Ginger says:

Perhaps you had a fragmented family and never experienced consistency in your
    early years. In fact, a great many goal-based writings are geared towards improving businesses
    at the bottom line in terms of increased efficiency, increased productivity, etc.
    I obviously can’t go to all those different campuses whenever I want to
    buy fan apparel, so I shop for my official NCAA football gear online.

51. Alpierce says:

Whenever I see Jennifer Lawrence in anything, I see someone acting, I don’t see the character. She has never been able to suspend my disbelief for her time onscreen. Ever. As for the pretty, there are better looking women in Midtown NYC that JL can’t hold a candle to. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so YMMV.

The one thing that no one ever talks about that a female pointed out to me is that women love her so much because they think she is ugly. But you will never in a million years get a women to admit that.

I don’t personally think she is ugly, but I would not give her a 2nd look If I passed her on the street.

52. Emmi says:

I don’t think people realize that not everyone is going to like what they like. The people who dislike her have just as much as a right to talk about it as the people who would literally kiss her ass if given the chance. Instead of freaking out that one person doesn’t like your precious “J-La”, why don’t you just not read the article? There are thousands of “JENNIFER LAWRENCE IS THE QUEEN OF EVERYTHING AND PERFECT” type articles on the internet.

53. RR says:

OMG I couldn’t agree more with what youve written and some comments above.

I’m not really a celebrity person. I’m just not a fan for anyone in the Hollywood. For me all that matters are people’s work not themselves like all it matters r musicians’music and actors’acting not who they are. I don’t even know since when she got this popular like every teen loves her. I mean I just don’t get this JL craziness. The first time I saw her was in X-men in which she played mystique. I’m a fan for x-men. I didn’t know who she was but when I saw JL in that role I was very disappointed. Because if u have watched all xmens movies u would know she wasn’t the first playing mystique and her previous was much better than her, in terms of both appearance and acting. Her acting was nothing impressive but plain and dull. And she was so ugly compared to her previous. She should be fit and very nimble yet she was fat and clumsy. She was way too chubby for that role. And her face was just way too below average that I couldn’t even remember it after 2 painful hours of watching . I mean I know they want a younger version of mystique but can u please at least find someone that would share the least resemblance with the previous cold yet beautiful and elegant mystique ? Thru out the entire movie the only thing I was thinking was this is the ugliest the worst mystique I’ve ever seen.

Yes she has done better ones since but still I don’t see how her acting was good enough for a best actress prize. I really think her performance is overated.

And I’m not Male so this is not sexism and she’s too ugly for any women to be jealous. And I just don’t understand why these young people love her like crazy

And I genuinely agree with many sane comments above. Insulting other people for having different opinions just because you are a huge FAN is really childish rude and stupid. Grow up people

54. Chuck Plumb says:

How can you say anyone is “overrated” when she wins an Oscar at 22? She’s absolutely the most versatile, intriguing young Actress to come along in the past 40 years, and has the potential to be the Audrey Hepburn of her generation. You won’t even see her full potential for another 5 years. She shines like the “Sun” in a sky full of “Moons” as you compare her to anyone else Hollywood offers today. It truly seems like opinionated “establishment” folk LOVE to attack Jennifer Lawrence; possibly because she IS so popular!