Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning scans the field during the AFC championship game against the New England Patriots Jan. 19 at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Denver won, 26-16. Courtesy of MCT

Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning scans the field during the AFC championship game against the New England Patriots Jan. 19 at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Denver won, 26-16.
Courtesy of MCT

Every year, there is plenty of buzz surrounding the Super Bowl, the biggest game of the season for the most popular sport in the country.

Super Bowl XLVIII is no exception, and Ohio State students are preparing to take in all that comes with the big game this year.

The Denver Broncos and their No. 1-ranked offense are set to take on the battle-tested Seattle Seahawks Sunday, who boast the league’s best defense. The strengths of both teams are sure to test the will of all players and coaches involved as they look to capture the sport’s ultimate crown, The Vince Lombardi Trophy.

According to Wallethub.com, about 169 million people are expected to watch the Super Bowl, spanning 180 countries and more than 30 languages. But, along with the game itself, there are plenty of other reasons for people across the world to tune in.

Erin Ponting, a second-year in chemistry, said she has a rooting interest in the game but is looking forward to another part of the broadcast.

“I am really excited to see if (Broncos quarterback) Peyton Manning can win another ring, but am thrilled to watch the Red Hot Chili Peppers perform with Bruno Mars,” Ponting said, referring to the halftime show. “I am a fan of both artists and think they will put on a good halftime show.”

Coupled with the halftime show, the commercials have become a spectacle in their own right. One 30-second ad this year is expected to cost advertisers more than $4 million, a rate only justified by the amount of viewers who watch the game. Each year, advertisers compete to see who can have the best commercial and vie to outspend one another for airtime.

Charlie Cataline, a fourth-year in art, said he does not have a favorite team in either the Broncos or Seahawks, but thinks the commercials will be a fun break from the football action.

“The commercials are usually pretty good and entertaining,” Cataline said. “People expect to see great commercials and I look to Budweiser, Coke and new movie trailers to entertain me between plays.”

In the end, between the halftime entertainment and the commercials, there is still a game being played. This Super Bowl, as with any other game, is likely to create or define legacies for all the players and coaches involved.

Callie Roney, a second-year in exploration, said she is cheering for a Broncos win because of her admiration for Manning.

“I will be pulling for the Broncos to win because I love Peyton Manning,” Roney said. “I have always been a big fan of his and this victory will help him catch up with his brother in the number of Super Bowl titles won.”

Kickoff between the Seahawks and Broncos is set for 6:30 p.m. from MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.