Mike Vrabel to take job with the Houston Texans

January 9, 2014
and
rogers.746@osu.edu and seger.25@osu.edu
sports_defense

OSU defensive line coach Mike Vrabel coaches his unit during The Game Nov. 30 at Michigan Stadium. OSU won, 42-41.
Credit: Ritika Shah / Asst. photo editor

Ohio State defensive line coach Mike Vrabel is leaving the Buckeyes to take a job with the Houston Texans, according to multiple reports.

The Texans, who hired former Penn State coach Bill O’Brien as head coach Jan. 3, finished 2-14 in 2013 and have the top overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Vrabel confirmed the move from his personal Twitter account at about 6:20 p.m. Thursday, thanking OSU in the process.

“I am thankful for everyone assoc with TOSU for 3 great years and my family and I are excited to join the Houston Texans as the (linebackers) coach,” the tweet read.

An OSU spokesman also confirmed with The Lantern that Vrabel is leaving OSU.

Vrabel has been a member of the Buckeye staff since 2011, starting as linebackers coach under then-coach Luke Fickell and switching to the defensive line when coach Urban Meyer joined the program in 2012.

A three-time Super Bowl Champion as a linebacker for the New England Patriots, Vrabel played defensive end at OSU from 1993-96, being named a consensus All-American in his final year at the school. He holds school records for career sacks (36), career tackles for loss (66) and owns the single season record for tackles for loss with 26 in 1995.

Vrabel becomes the second OSU defensive coach since the end of the regular season to leave the program, after co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach Everett Withers accepted the head coaching position at James Madison University Dec. 20.

This season, Vrabel coached a unit that finished third in the country with 42 sacks, and tied for 19th in tackles for loss with 91. The Buckeye defense as a whole, however, finished ranked 47th in total defense in the country, giving up 377.4 yards per game. In the team’s final four games, opponents scored no less than 34 points against OSU.

1. Chris Timmons says:

Now, just get ride of Fickell and start with a clean slate.

2. My 2 Sons says:

You have no clue just how huge of a loss this is.

3. Robert Celli says:

Now get Chris Spielman and lose Fickell

4. Rodger says:

Unfortunately, Vrabel should have stayed to take over the head defensive coordinator job and Fickell should have been released. The defense has been an embarrassment the last couple of seasons. I attended 10 of 12 games this season plus the Orange Bowl and the general consensus of fans around me is that Urban needs to get a top notch defensive coordinator or we will continue to flounder and get embarrassed as we did in Miami!

5. Hmm says:

I’m sure no one will agree with me, but I do not think it’s a huge loss. Our tackling has been –it since he came. Our D-line is so bad our starters were out injured and it barely made a difference. I say good riddance to most of defensive coaching staff with the exception of Combs.

6. My name is Luiz Montenegro. I live in Brazil and I love the Bobby Vee recordinds. I have that Brazilian EP.

7. Software – Once you receive your new audio interface, it will come with
    a light version of software to help you complete your recording studio journey.
    It also has Ram Kapoor doing his best to look after his step siblings and his stepmother
    Niharika. Many amazing bands, singers and other artists are not
    recording with big expensive studios because it.