OSU sophomore guard Ameryst Alston (14) shoots the ball during a game against Old Dominion Nov. 22 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 75-60. Credit: Liz Young / Campus editor

OSU sophomore guard Ameryst Alston (14) shoots the ball during a game against Old Dominion Nov. 22 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 75-60.
Credit: Liz Young / Campus editor

Turnovers, poor shooting and lack of rebounding doomed the Ohio State women’s basketball team Thursday as the Buckeyes fell to No. 16 Penn State, 66-42.

The 24-point loss was the worst loss for the Buckeyes this season.

The 42 points were a season-low, as OSU shot just 29.6 percent from the field and allowed the Nittany Lions to grab 20 offensive rebounds and score 18 second-chance points.

Three Nittany Lion players grabbed eight or more rebounds while no Buckeye starter had more than six.

The Buckeyes also committed 22 turnovers, leading to 17 points for the Nittany Lions.

Reigning Big Ten player of the week sophomore guard Ameryst Alston was held to just 12 points by the Penn State zone defense, shooting only 4-17 from the field.

Alston was the only Buckeye who scored in double figures.

Sophomore guard Cait Craft, OSU’s leading shooter from beyond the 3-point arc so far this season, made only 2-10 shot attempts from deep and finished with six points.

Nittany Lion senior guard and reigning Big Ten player of the year Maggie Lucas led all players in points with 18 and in assists with five.

After scoring 18 points against Indiana Saturday to tie a career-high, OSU junior guard Raven Ferguson was held to just four points while also fouling out late in the second half.

Ferguson was forced to play more minutes than usual Thursday night as OSU backup junior guard Maleeka Kynard did not make the trip to State College, according to the Big Ten Network.

One bright spot for the Buckeyes was senior center Ashley Adams who scored eight points and grabbed 10 rebounds off the bench.

The Buckeyes (12-8, 2-2) are set to return home to face the Iowa Hawkeyes (14-4, 2-2) Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Schottenstein Center.